Subject: Re: Fw: [legalxml-econtracts] Fwd: [ebxml-bp] WI-71 isLegallyBindingAttribute and Legal Intent

Kelly,

OK!  I like that element name and description better!

Thanks, DW

kelly.ray@us.pwc.com wrote:

Not sure if you received my comments as my email bounced back from the cc attempt to ebxml-bp.  But my comments tie-in with your suggestion on a linkage out to a "LegalRequirementsURL" which could reference to a contractual URL or a legislative/regulatory URL.

Thanks,
Kelly D. Ray
Director
Advisory Services
PricewaterhouseCoopers

(home office) 972-881-2420
(voicemail/fax) 214-853-4264
(cell) 972-896-5834
kelly.ray@us.pwc.com

----- Forwarded by Kelly D Ray/US/ABAS/PwC on 08/30/2004 12:25 PM -----
Kelly D Ray/US/ABAS/PwC

08/25/2004 02:07 PM
Intl: 214-853-4264
Dallas
US

"Monica J. Martin" <Monica.Martin@Sun.COM>@INTL
cc
ebXML BP <ebxml-bp@lists.oasis-open.org>, legalxml-econtracts@lists.oasis-open.org, "Sally St. Amand" <sallystamand@yahoo.com>, "Bergeron, Donald L. (LNG-DAY)" <Donald.Bergeron@lexisnexis.com>, "'daniel@citizencontact.com'" <daniel@citizencontact.com>
Subject
Re: [legalxml-econtracts] Fwd: [ebxml-bp] WI-71 isLegallyBinding Attribute and Legal IntentLink

I had a great email response to this that was lost as a draft.  So, I'm going to try to recreate it.

I am new to standards and am just coming up to speed on the work of ebXML (ISO 15000) and e-Contracts, but am active on the LegalXML-Legislative TC.

"IsLegallyBinding" comes across as a misnomer to me because its based on a judgment and series of facts.  We would be somewhat socially irresponsible if we were to give people a choice of making a commitment or representation and then indicating that it is not legally binding.

The answer to the question of whether a term is legally binding depends on the nature of the source of the obligation as part of the business transaction.  Two sources of legal obligation are:  a) contractual terms; and b) regulatory or legislative directives.

Contractual Terms:
From the perspective of an intent to bind and enforceability, prudence suggests only having a concern about it, if the obligation is in fact a commitment or representation and whether it was made by someone with actual or apparent authority.  Here are some thoughts about these two elements as far as what might be used as triggers:

1) "HasAuthority" - which could be determined based upon:
        a) "title" of the person executing the transaction
        b) "RepresentedAuthority" - person has assertd that he/she has authority to bind the organization (perhaps through a certified digital signature validated by the organization)

2) Standard of enforceablity based on the Nature of the term within the contract (which falls into at least four areas):
        a) "commitment" - (affirmative, negative) - standard for enforceability is a failure to comply with the commitment prior to any failure by the other party
        b) "representation" - standard for liability is either i) knowingly false when asserted; ii) failed to exercise due care as to veracity
        c) "contextual information" - no consequence for inaccuracy
        d) "jurisidictional" - not triggered until after a commitment or representation trigger suggests a claim or liability

Compliance - Laws and Regulations:
From the perspective of whether an element of a transaction is legally binding in the context of Compliance, I would encourage you to consider having an element of the business rules/business process schema include both a characteristic of the obligation and a consequence for single non-compliance and pattern of non-compliance to drive risk management decisions and project/process prioritization.  Compliance obligations can fall along the following spectrum:

1) Mandate - either a prescribe action, a prohibition, or a status that is externally imposed upon an entity
2) Commitment - for contractual obligations, representations to the public like we will honor a claim for X days (in essence an oral contract)
3) Assertion - for example, we are ISO 15000 compliant (its a voluntary position in which stakeholders may place value but its not a commitment)
4) Objective - for externally communicated targets, principles and goals where people may rely on them and thus have a publicity/reputational impact but not a strict legal impact

Whether to execute one transaction over another is going to depend on the consequences of non-compliance to the terms.  There is certainly room for improvement here, but I think of consequences as varying between:
a) single event consequence
b) pattern of action consequence

I would characterize consequences of non-compliance as following along the following spectrum:

a) individual criminal exposure
b) corporate criminal exposure
c) loss of licensure/permit/status
d) civil exposure - punitive
e) civil exposure - consequential
f) civil exposure - actual
g) mandated action - recall
h) mandated action - remediation
i) reputational exposure (which would be measured in loss of business)

The LegalXML-Legislative TC has scheduled a Face-to-Face for September 7th in Vermont.  One segment of that meeting is to include a discussion of interaction between LegalXML-Legislative and ebXML.  I would encourage attendance as a specific use case that could be built out that intersects ebXML and LegalXML-Legislative is the transaction of a corporation subscribing to and receiving legislative or regulatory content.  That subscription process would require a showcase of the intersection between the content, the transmission protocol, and the transaction or "subscription" profile.

You can get more information about the Face-to-Face here:  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=legalxml-legislative

Hope this doesn't add more confusion to the issue since I don't have the full context, but I have put quite a bit of thought into how corporations must be prepared to address "compliance" obligations and what is required of a taxonomy to drive internal compliance processes, risk decisions, etc.

Thanks,
Kelly D. Ray

"Monica J. Martin" <Monica.Martin@Sun.COM>

08/24/2004 06:41 PM

legalxml-econtracts@lists.oasis-open.org, ebXML BP <ebxml-bp@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
"Sally St. Amand" <sallystamand@yahoo.com>
Subject
[legalxml-econtracts] Fwd: [ebxml-bp] WI-71 isLegallyBinding Attribute and Legal Intent

Attention to the LegalXML Group:

John Messing graciously provided some input to questions we had sent
recently, via a message to Sally St. Amand from the ebXML Business
Process TC.  As indicated, we are soliciting any feedback from the
LegalXML group on an attribute, isLegallyBinding [1], that is associated
with business transaction activities.

Should you have any further insight it would be most appreciated.  Thank
you ahead of time from the ebBP team.

Note: A more detailed summary if required can be found at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200407/msg00133.html.
[1] Likely to be changed to HasLegalIntent.