Subject: RE: BSI retries question - trying again

Hi all,

Nobody responded to this one.  It is an important clarification because if different BSIs take a different interpretation of retry count then one side might terminate the process after an acceptance NACK whilst the other attampts a retry….

Any comments?

Steve Capell

Red Wahoo Pty Ltd

+61 410 437854

From: Steve Capell [mailto:steve.capell@redwahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, 2 September 2004 7:26 PM
To: 'ebXML BP'
Cc: 'anthony.ellis@redwahoo.com'
Subject: BSI retries question

Hello all,

I have a question about exception handling in the context of a BSI that is “managing” a BPSS process.   The BSI aggregates all the different events that might lead to a protocol failure into one “protocol success/ protocol failure” signal to the next layer (typically a BPM executing a BPEL?).

Is it correct to assume that the “retry count” attribute of the “requesting business activity” element represents the maximum number of BUSINESS retries and is entirely separate from any technical retries at the reliable messaging layer?  For example, if send a message that is successfully received from the message handler perspective (eg I get a receipt ACK from the other side) but fails from the business perspective (eg I get an acceptance NACK) then I can modify the document and retry the request in the context of the SAME business process instance?

However in the context of a time to perform timeout we assume that we cannot retry because a mutually agreed maximum time to perform a business operation has been exceeded.  In this case the transaction needs to be rolled back and tried again in the context of a NEW business process instance (or handled manually).

Hoping someone can confirm our understanding….

Regards,

Steve Capell

Red Wahoo Pty Ltd

+61 410 437854