Subject: RE: [ebxml-bp] [ebBP] 7/21/2004: Guiding Principles - BPMN and BPSS

Dear David, Jean-Jacques and others,

Now I have caught up on this topic, I will try to keep up, for awhile
anyway!

Thank you, Jean-Jacques, for your message.  I will try to find your mail
with the proposal and take a look.

Just a few corrections for David (as I participated in BPMI and BPMN for
about year ceasing at the back end of last year).

BPMI (Business Process Management Initiative) is the organisation.  BPML is
the XML based business process description language they produced (a year or
more ago now).  No, it is not true to say that BPMN (Business Process
Management Notation) is the visual counterpart of BPML.  I was not in at the
beginning, but I understand that it was developed independently, with a
rather different set of people (some overlap I am sure) more based on
previous experience with process visualisation tools than any XML language.
It used to have a section indicating how to approach representing a BPMN
diagram in BPML, however for the final version 1.0 of the BPMN specification
that was removed and guidance on how to map to a BPEL4WS representation
(Section 6) put in instead (yes, currently it is BPEL4WS, the proprietary
version that was submitted to OASIS at the start of the WSBPEL TC - when
that TC produces a version of BPEL then the BPMN folks may produce a new
version of BPMN that shows how to map to it instead).  Overall the design
was aimed at visualisation tools rather than XML representation but with the
idea / hope that it would be able to map to several different 'popular' XML
BP languages such as BPML, BPEL, BPSS and the WfMC's XPDL.

Best Regards     Tony
A M Fletcher

Cohesions  (TM)

Business transaction management software for application coordination
www.choreology.com

Choreology Ltd., 68 Lombard Street, London EC3V 9LJ     UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1473 729537   Fax: +44 (0) 870 7390077  Mobile: +44 (0) 7801
948219
tony.fletcher@choreology.com     (Home: amfletcher@iee.org)