Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] [ebBP] 7/21/2004: Guiding Principles - BPMN and BPSS

Just to confirm what Tony was saying...

BPMN was developed by a different working group than the one that developed BPML. The make up of the Notation Working Group was mainly process modeling tool vendors and some process modeling consultants. We were chartered with two main goals: 1) develop a process modeling notation appropriate for business people, and 2) develop a bridge to a process execution language. Originally, that was BPML, but this was changed to BPEL when that seemed more appropriate. We also were charted to be able to notate B2B situations. We have some of this already and, thus, we are not likely far off in handling what is in ebXML BP.

We will have some comments and questions for your proposal soon.

-Steve

David RR Webber <david@drrw.info>

09/08/2004 06:04 AM

Tony Fletcher <tony_fletcher@btopenworld.com>
cc
Jean-Jacques Dubray <jeanjadu@Attachmate.com>, "'Monica J. Martin'" <Monica.Martin@Sun.COM>, "'ebXML BP'" <ebxml-bp@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
Re: [ebxml-bp] [ebBP] 7/21/2004: Guiding Principles - BPMN and BPSS

Tony,

Wow!

I based my comment on a review of the spec' a while back when the BPMN
was in it - I had
no idea it was two teams!  I'll have to get the scoop from Howard Smith
on this sometime!!

Anyway - what is interesting is that I started with this same premise
back last year - using
VisualScript to create an 'uber model' that could then be generated into
BPSS, BPEL, et al.

I worked with a couple of vendors too - and their own internal BPM
engines script syntaxing,
and at first this seemed very promising.

Anyway - the wheel basically fell off this wagon when I realized that
BPEL was diverging into
a 4GL for EAI vendors - with a arcane and complex behavioural execution
model - and more
importantly was not deterministic nor supported context or business
transaction handling.
It's just attempting to solve a completely different problem set - one
is a train - the other a
hydrofoil triple-hulled boat design!

So - I've ended up focusing on BPSS as the core function set.   My
current thoughts envision
being able to use a modified set of BPMN symbols to represent BPSS
concepts (where they
are close) and then being able to write out both BPSS XML instances and
then either
predicates and assertions for a Prolog engine like SWI Prolog / and / or
scripting for something
like BEA, MQSeries or similar integration server.

The more things change they more they come full circle it seems!! ; -)

Cheers, DW.