Subject: Re: ebBP 12/21/2005: Feedback from ePV Project on ebBP (Dale pleaseread)

As requested and with the approval of Pim vanderEijk, I've attached the
ePV criminal justice in the Netherlands working example as well as the
discussion thus far.  When the ePV team has done their next process
definition update, we can further discuss. I encourage your comments on
this work and thank Pim and Gerald for their interest and progress thur
far. I've included my example with original comments, the generic
comments sent to the list, and the discussion I had with Gerald Slot and
Pim vanderEijk before the Christmas break. Note the open question about
multiple ToLinks with the same business state, specifically. Thanks.

   1. ePV example and document attached (with my original comments in
      tracked changes).
   2. Original general inquiry I sent to ebBP 19 December 2005:
      http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebxml-bp/email/archives/200512/msg00026.html
         1. "We have another European project that has started to model
            their business processes using ebBP. That team will advise
            when their model definitions and specific questions can be
            made public.  In the interim, I've extracted a few relevant
            comments for us to consider. I understand these were
            received outside of the comment period. However, we can
            decide what action could occur and when (and if).
                * How to rationalize the guidance in the process
                  definition for QoS, quality and document security to
                  what is effected at the messaging level? I responded
                  that the guidance in the process definition isn't
                  dictating the messaging constraint. The actual
                  constraint is applied via the CPP/A.  Therefore, the
                  guidance in the process definition and the messaging
                  level constraint and execution can be separate but
                  complementary. We discussed this earlier in the
                  specification cycle whereby you may require specific
                  QoS expectations at the business level and leave the
                  actual mechanism to the concrete implementation layer
                  (and when delegated to the messaging infrastructure).
                * Can more information be added for business signals?
                  This sprung from a need to add more information
                  particularly when user-defined signals were used. We
                  currently leave unspecified the format of a
                  user-defined signal except to reference its intent and
                  how it is used in business transactions.  Do we need
                  to consider an extensibility mechanism for the
                  business signals defined?
                * Can you allow more than one ToLink on a transition? A
                  transition with condition expressions can only
                  transition to one ToLink. However, you can transition
                  to several different states (BusinessSuccess,
                  BusinessFailure, etc).  I defer to John Yunker and
                  Dale Moberg on the idea of having more than one ToLink
                  for transition. Logically you could have success and
                  then a decision is triggered or needed (enable
                  condition that a decision should be made) because of
                  the preconditions used (if automated)."

Discussion with Pim and Gerald (in addition to providing the original
paper from Dale Moberg on onInitiation=>links). The previous paper is
not attached but can be found at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200405/msg00077.html.

epv-Example.zip