Subject: [ebxml-cppa-negot] Omission of all child elements ofebXMLSenderBinding and ebXMLReceiverBinding

Here are the results of my analysis of omitting all child elements of
ebXMLSenderBinding and ebXMLReceiverBinding from the CPA. When I finished
the analysis, it wasn't obvious to me that any additional explanation is
needed in the CPPA spec, though a comment that it is permissible to omit
all the child elements might be appropriate.  Note also that the discussion
below also includes the attributes of MessagingCharacteristics.

The following rules eliminate the need for negotiating the document-
exchange specifications for the NCPA:

Omit the following child elements of the ebXMLSenderBinding and
ebXMLReceiverBinding elements: ReliableMessaging, PersistDuration,
xxxNonRepudiation, and xxxDigitalEnvelope. This means that reliable
messaging and message security are not used. The NamespaceSupported element
can also be omitted unless the message structure used for negotiation
requires identifying namespaces for body parts.

In the MessagingCharacteristics elements, specify the value “never” for the
attributes ackRequested, ackSignatureRequested, and duplicateElimination
(they are used only with reliable messaging). For the actor attribute,
specify either of the permitted values; this attribute is ignored when
ackRequested = “never”. The value of the syncReplyMode attribute should be
specified in the negotiation specification.  It should not have to be
negotiated for negotiation CPAs. Note that these attributes must be
included with the values described above because default values of these
attributes are other than "never".

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs