Subject: [ebxml-cppa-negot] Re: BPSS Start element

Hima,

Please see my comments below.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

                      "Himagiri(Hima)
                      Mukkamala"               To:       Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                      <himagiri@sybase.        cc:       Jean-Jacques Dubray <jjd@eigner.com>, ebtwg-bps@lists.ebtwg.org, ebxml-cppa-
                      com>                      negot@lists.oasis-open.org
                                               Subject:  Re: BPSS Start element
                      08/09/2002 10:19
                      AM

Assuming there is programming interface to the application,
the application would convey to BSI layer which collaboration
it is taking part in.

<MWS>  I agree that this would work. However one of the functions a
BSI can perform is to assure that both Parties' applications are
playing by the same
rules.  Allowing the application to tell its BSI the starting point
leaves open the possibility that a programming error at one or both
Parties will cause one or both to tell its BSI the wrong starting point.
One of the important value propositions for both a CPA and a BPSS instance
is that the two Parties have agreed to a single copy of the CPA and BPSS
instance and then both deploy identical copies.  That ensures that the
two BSIs are playing by the same rules and will detect cases where the
applications are not playing by those rules.  For this to work reliably,
the BSIs must be able to infer the starting point of the choreograpny
directly from the information in the BPSS instance. </MWS>

If the inner collaboration has a start element of its own and the
application is allowed to use that collaboration, then
depending on the parameters, BSI would invoke the right collaboration
on either ends.

<MWS>  Again, this assumes that the applications do make errors in their
API invocations.</MWS>

Starting the innner collaboration independent of starting as part
of outer collaboration are two difeerent activities.

<MWS>  Allowing the inner collaboration to be both independent and
nested inside the outer collaboration complicates the BSI's analysis
of the choreography. As I said above, leaving it to the application to
tell the BSI works only if one of the Parties does not nake an error.
</MWS>

Start for outer collaboration would point to BusinessTransactionActivity
as defined in outer collaboration and is different from
the BTA referred to by Start of inner collaboration. There
would be a transition from the outercollaboration to the
innercollaboration using a CollaborationActivity and this is what
would start the inner collaboration as part of outer collaboration.

<MWS>  I agree.  This scenario requires a Start element only in the outer
collaboration since the starting point in the inner collaboration is
given by the Transition element in the outer collaboration. <MWS>

-hima

Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, <ebtwg-bps@lists.ebtwg.org>, <ebxml-cppa-
>                       <jjd@eigner.com>          negot@lists.oasis-open.
org>