Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa-negot] Negotiation Message Content

My contribution below.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

                      "Dale Moberg"
                      <dmoberg@cycloneco        To:       "Jean Zheng" <jzheng@vitria.com>, Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                      mmerce.com>               cc:       <ebxml-cppa-negot@lists.oasis-open.org>
                      08/13/2002 02:31
                      PM

Comment/question below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean Zheng [mailto:jzheng@vitria.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 11:08 AM
To: Martin W Sachs
Cc: ebxml-cppa-negot@lists.oasis-open.org

Marty,
Thank you very much for your comments.
I've updated the message content based on your suggestions except the
CPA ID part.  I assume that after the initial handshake no party needs
to pass around the CPA document at its entirety.  Having the CPAID in
the message is easier for both party to look up the actual CPA document
stored in some temporary store.

Does that make sense?  Have we decided that CPA Doc will always
accompany all transactions throughout any one Negotionation dialog?

Dale>>

MWS:  Dale, you may have sent this before seeing my response, today,
to Jean's response to my comments below.

Jean and Marty,

I am reading Jean's draft and Marty's comments and one thing that was
not clear to me
was why Marty did not like to use the draft CPA's id or the CPA
template's id.

MWS:  The value of the cpaId attribute in the CPA is recommended to be
a URI, i.e. to have some degree of globality.  The identifier of
an initial offer CPA template or the CPA under construction is something
whose scope of uniqueness is just the two negotiating parties and the
negotiation instance in which they are working.  I prefer to keep the
two kinds of identifier separate, thougth I could be had on this one.

I had gotten the impression that we were allowing two modes of
operation:

1. For those whose infrastructures allowed it, the draft CPA would be
referenced by URL
and, as necessary, one would access it through HTTP GET or FTP GET or
whatever.

MWS:  The above is fine for the initial-offer CPA template.  However, the
CPA under construction has to be able to be modified in each iteration of
the negotiation.  Having a central copy raises the question of who is
allowed to modify it and when. For this reason, I prefer (2).

2. For those unable to resolve external references and/or unable to
publish to a http or ftp
server, there would be an option to send the CPA draft as necessary.
[Perhaps only
initially and during the signing finale.]

MWS:  (2) is more or less what I suggested to Jean earlier today.  If the
evolving CPA-under-construction is not exchanged in every iteration of
the negotiation, it definitely has to be sent by one Party to the other
at the end to be sure that both parties have the same understanding of
the total set of changes before the signing takes place.

MWS:  For version 1, I suggest that we do it only one way.  Either
always pass the evolving CPA in each iteration or only pass it at the
end for verification before signing.

For mode 1, it might be nice to check the cpaid value to see that the
reference did
resolve to the intended value... Otherwise, I guess the draft CPA or
template is
whatever we get by resolving the URL. Not certain I am that
much of a RESTifarian for this use case.

MWS:  I think that my suggestion directly above avoids this question.

Thanks,
Jean