Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa-negot] discovery of CPA template

Correct.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

                      "Dale Moberg"
                      <dmoberg@cycloneco        To:       Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                      mmerce.com>               cc:       <ebxml-cppa-negot@lists.oasis-open.org>
                      08/27/2002 04:06
                      PM

OK, you diagnosed what had confused
me accurately. So 1-4 are just different
"preconditions" on the entry point
into the BPSS defined negotiation process,
and 5 is a normal start.

Dale,

Here are the steps, numbered for convenience.

1. Party B obtains a copy of Party A's CPA template and NDD.
2. Party B fills in its Party ID, communication address, and other
details.
3. Party B may also modify other aspects of this CPA template that are
indicated as negotiable in the NDD.
4. Party B does NOT modify the NDD.
5. Party B submits this modified CPA template to Party A as an initial
offer.
6. The accompanying negotiation message indicates what Party B has
changed
in the CPA template just as in the case of a counter offer.
7. The choreography then continues as in the current BPSS instance
document,
with Party A making the response to Party B's offer.

I definitely have in mind that party B submit the modified CPA template
Party A as an initial offer. I viewed item 6 as information to party A
as
to what was changed.  The words "Just as in the case of a counter offer"
seem to be confusing; I should not have used those words. Possibly, it
is
not necessary to indicate what was changed.  Party A can use the NDD to
analyze the content of the initial offer just as would be the case if
Party
B built the CPA template without reference to Party A's CPA template. In
other words, I agree with your second paragraph.

I think you are suggesting that steps 1-4 are out of scope anyway.
That's
correct but this is a case that might be worth mentioning in
illustration.

Regards,
Marty

*************

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com
*************

                      "Dale Moberg"

                      <dmoberg@cycloneco        To:       Martin W
Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, <ebxml-cppa-negot@lists.oasis-
                      mmerce.com>                open.org>

                                                cc:

                      08/27/2002 02:19          Subject:  RE:
[ebxml-cppa-negot] discovery of CPA template
                      PM

Hi Marty,

I think the opening logic steps seem OK.

Are you suggesting that the initial message
to Party A from Party B (containing a draft
CPA derived from mods to Party A's template)
go as a counteroffer?

It seems to me it could go as the initial
proposed CPA and just ignore that it was
formed from a CPA template (and NDD) just
like we ignore that an initial draft CPA
might be formed from 2 CPPs (and a NDD if available).

Dale

In our early discussions, we included the possiblity that Party B might
discover Party A's CPA template rather than a CPP.  For this case, the
opening logic  is:

- Party B obtains a copy of Party A's CPA template and NDD.
- Party B fills in its Party ID, communication address, and other
details.
- Party B may also modify other aspects of this CPA template that are
indicated as negotiable in the NDD.
- Party B does NOT modify the NDD.
- Party B submits this modified CPA template to Party A as an initial
offer.
- The accompanying negotiation message indicates what Party B has
changed
in the CPA template just as in the case of a counter offer.
- The choreography then continues as in the current BPSS instance
document,
with Party A making the response to Party B's offer.

Does this scenario require any modifications to the current BPSS
instance
document?  I don't think so but I would like other opinions.

Regards,
Marty