Subject: [ebxml-cppa-negot] RE: instance document of BPSS

The BPSS leadership has asked us to replace all instances of "BPSS instance
document" in the CPPA and negotiation specifications with "BPSS business
process specification".  In my mind, there is a big question of whether
whatever value to be gained from using this unique term is greater than the
costs in departing from standard XML terminology.

Should we also define unique names for our instance documents?

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com
----- Forwarded by Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM on 11/19/2002 09:20 AM -----

                      "Brian S. Hayes"
                      <brian.hayes@UCLA        To:       Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                      lumni.net>               cc:       <mmartin@certivo.net>
                                               Subject:  RE: instance document
                      11/18/2002 08:56
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      brian.hayes

Marty,
     I appreciate your suggestion.  The BPSS team did address this issue
and resolved to use the term Business Process Specification rather than
"BPSS instance" (meeting notes below).  The BPSS team would also
recommend that "BPSS Business Process Specification" be the term used in
documents other than the BPSS.
     Off hand, I don't recall all the issues and counter arguments.
But, one of the issues related to instances of the BPSS schema is that
there is the concept of a run-time "instance" of a process
specification.  I believe it was Bob Haugen who commented that a "BPSS
Instance Instance" would not be a good term for this run-time instance.
     I don't want to re-raise and revisit this issue since I think there
are far too many other more significant BPSS issues to deal with.
However, I would encourage you to raise this issue to the BPSS team
providing you are willing to lead the discussion.  You have provided a
good argument below.  I am not sure if there are other UN/CEFACT groups
(e.g. ATG and ICG) and publications that you could also bring to bear in
the argument.  You might want to contact Frank Vandamme
(frank.vandamme@swift.com) who was the eBTWG lead for the UML2XML
project team.

Best regards,
Brian