Subject: Re: msh TimeAccuracy RE: T2 Reliable Messaging w/o CPA or VIA...

I don't agree with synchronizing clocks.  None of the time elements in the
message service spec are absolute times as far as I recall.  They are
intervals.  The state of the art of timing should be good enough to let
each end time its own intervals and not to need a timer accuracy parameter
(here, I agree with Chris).  The CPA has one or two absolute times but the
intervals with which they are associated are measured in days or longer -
again no synchronization or timer accuracy requirement is needed.

I think I am repeating myself but just to make sure:  The real problem is
that the message service specification does not state where each of the
reliable messaging parameters (and perhaps other also?) is located.  10.2
and 10.2.1 Delivery semantics say "either the CPA or the message header".
For the rest of the parameters, nothing is said at all about where they are
found.  This is not an implementer's choice. Each one must be specified as
being in the message header or in the CPA.

Dale Moberg <dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com> on 08/01/2001 06:55:48 PM