Subject: Re: Negotiation: comments on white paper outline

Peter,

Thanks for your comments.  I have a few responses.  Where I don't respond,
I am agreeing that the point needs to be taken up by the team. Multiple
levels of conversation get awkward if done inside the document, so here are
the responses.

1.1 1st bullet: I included partner discovery because of the possibility
that there might be some interaction between discovery and interaction as,
I recall, I heard at the F2F.  Some of Dale's previous comments revolved
around discovery-related matters. It's up to the team.

1.1, second comment:  There might be a benefit to starting with a technical
report and then fleshing it out.

1.1 Value add:  In my opinion, if negotiation is normative at all, it
should include CPPs with any level of complexity.  BP or application domain
could be value-add, at least until we get around to it :-)

3.4, first comment:  We could call it an NPA but is an ordinary CPA that
happens to point to a BPSS instance document that defines the negotiation
protocool.

3.4, second comment:  I'm afraid that there will always have to be some
pre-negotiation of the PartyInfo sections of the negotiation CPA.  At
least, endpoint addresses will have to be filled in and agreement reached
on which negotiation BPSS instance document they will use if there are more
than one.  I would hope that the matters to be agreed upon in the
negotiation CPA would be minimal.  This may be one example of where a
negotiation intermediary might simplify things.  It would dictate most of
what is in the negotiation CPA.

3.4 Fourth comment:  Human review would have to be allowed for but it would
get in the way of spontaneous e-commerce.

3.5 First comment.  Any of your suggestions is OK for starting purposes.  I
would recommend maximizing the Hamming distance between the names of the
negotiation CPA and the negotiation CPP since they serve different
purposes.  The first controls the negotiation process and the second is the
input to the negotiation process.  Incidentally, everyone please think
about addendum vs embedding the negotiation things into the CPP, and hence
into the CPP-CPA spec.

"Peter Ogden" <pogden@cyclonecommerce.com> on 08/29/2001 05:01:43 PM