Subject: Re: Updated CPP/A schema and example files

Since the delivery channels are receive characteristics, specification of
the extra (SMTP) protocol for the buyer is an ambigous case and a CPP
composition tool must not generate such a CPA.  I agree that the example
should be corrected.

Note:   The case is ambiguous because we do not specify send
characteristics.  A reasonable implementation will probably not attempt to
send with SMTP if it cannot receive with SMTP, so that the extra SMTP
protocol specification is probably harmless.  However, we have ample
historical examples that show that we cannot trust implementations to be
reasonable without fully specifying them.  Examples are the Hubble Space
Telescope, Ariane 5, Therac 25, and the Mars lander that failed because
metric and English units were mixed.

ECOMmail1@aol.com on 09/30/2001 07:25:13 PM