Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] SMTP Needs "to" and "from" e-mail addresses

Dan,

For SMIME, the following OID is normally
used for the email address attribute:

e-mailAddress OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
{iso(1) member-body(2) US(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs-9(9) 1}

This practice was documented in the SMIME implementation
guide-- you can pull a copy down from

http://lib.ua.ac.be/ibw/PDF/smimeimp.pdf

I expect the conventions for xmldsig
certificate usage to follow what is
done for smime, but those usage
conventions are only now emerging.

You may find it useful to look at the
RSA (www.rsa.com) smime resources
to find background documents like
PKCS6 and extended attribute discussions.
Notice that this email attribute is not
under the X.500 name fields
(see www.alvestrand.no for a good
online index of OIDs and some text
discussion)

Most of the problem I discussed
was discussed at length on several
occasions in several forums. The
smime archive for the ietf wg
could be searched and I bet it is
there somewhere. probably at www.imc.org
or a pointer to it somewhere in that
vicinity.

Feel free to email me if you
need some more pointers. There is
a large and diffuse bunch of information
involved.

Dale