Subject: Re: [ebxml-cppa] SMTP Needs "to" and "from" e-mail addresses

   Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 09:27:32 -0700
   From: Dale Moberg <dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com>

   For SMIME, the following OID is normally
   used for the email address attribute:

   e-mailAddress OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
   {iso(1) member-body(2) US(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs-9(9) 1}

   This practice was documented in the SMIME implementation
   guide-- you can pull a copy down from

   http://lib.ua.ac.be/ibw/PDF/smimeimp.pdf

I see.  Thanks for the pointer to the document!

   I expect the conventions for xmldsig
   certificate usage to follow what is
   done for smime, but those usage
   conventions are only now emerging.

Hmm.  If we intend for the certificates used in ebXML to have DN's
with an "e-mailAddress" component, it seems as if we really have to
either say that explicitly, or say it by means of a normative
reference to something else that says it explicitly.  Since we're not
basing ebXML on S/MIME, we can't draw on the S/MIME standards for
this.  I don't know whether this is something that we ought to specify
explicitly in our own standards documents, or whether it's something
that xmldsig ought to be talking about and we ought to be referring
to.

-- Dan