Subject: [ebxml-cppa] (longer than I had hoped) RE: [ebxml-msg] Messaging Specv1.092

Title: RE: [ebxml-msg] Messaging Spec v1.092

-----Original Message-----
From: Burdett, David [mailto:david.burdett@commerceone.com]

You can't use WSDL as it does not contain the necessary information. A "take-it-or-leave-it" CPP would work
but it is not WSDL. IMO, WSDL and CPP need to converge. Do you think this is possible?

David

[snip]

Dale Moberg>

What would converge really mean here? An interesting question and
here are some ideas to maybe move the discussion forward a bit:

I think WSDL and CPPA documents (especially CPA
template documents) are analogous functionally.
WSDL does some things not currently found
in CPPA and the converse is likewise true. I think there may be
other profile/configuration formats emerging in the WSxx
camp, and when that happens, we can see which formats
can do what things. CPPA is being built out to
handle PKI agreements, as well as transports,
packaging, and agreements about the
business signals for nonrepudiation and so on.

So far, it would not be a huge complication for software
 to be able to make use of either format for configuration,
depending on whether the software was being configured for
a "web service" or a "collaboration" mode.
That is, the underlying technologies are fairly similar
(SOAP-centric, HTTP-mainly,  and so on)

WSDL can better handle specifying RPC style parameter list exchanges
by means of its Port and Binding constructs. (The only CPPA analog here
is the Action and ActionBinding constructs, but these do not get
expanded into inputs and outputs, as the WS-IDL analogy motivates.)
CPA is geared for exchange of larger record sets, possibly including multiple kinds of data
(addresses, parts list, prices, billing terms, etc) and to handle the signals
and more elaborate security options of collaborations. It lets the schemas
(in the packaging elements) point to specifics about the data being transported.

Currently, CPPA lets a MSH be entirely open to
talk to any BSI on the local side, (as does ebXML as a whole)
and only provides service and action values which, along with the
To, From, MessageId, ConversationId etc values , can be
used in discriminating  the local entry point(s), and the local entry point(s) access
implementation (JMS queues, file system and directory, pipes, IPC, RPC,
RMI, ORB, DCOM, etc, etc). It might be nice to document BSI interface
details, but it would _not_ be something that fits the current intent of the CPPA.
(which is to promote configuration of both sides in a b2b collaboration so
that they have interoperable implementations). It is not exactly your trading
partnet's concern how you hook up you communications to your back end apps.

It would be unfortunate if there was an incredible proliferation of
configuration and interface discovery formats,
but it may not be inappropriate to have a couple
of  specialized, customized formats geared to different configuration
and discovery problems. Sometimes merging distinct sets of functions into a big
kitchen-sink style schema  just results in something
too complex to wade through, and the learning curve of figuring
out which part is used for what purpose is just not worth
bothering with enduring, and so the approach fails to catch on.

I do not know whether it is important for CPPA notations to provide
any support for RPC like parameter lists, or for enhanced
representations of the local service interface points. Certainly
the current focus of CPPA is on the b2b communication/security/datatype
configuration, and not on the integration to the local application.
Similarly, I am not certain whether WSDL needs to get involved in
describing capabilities and prerequisites for digital enveloping,
non repudiation of receipt, reliable messaging, and so on.

But I agree that it is worthwhile being aware
of the danger of creating useless reduplications.
And, this may be an area in which a merged approach will work also,
depending on future developments in Oasis and W3C.
Certainly one potential direction for CPPA is extending its
notations to actively support other BP flow notations beyond BPSS,
and other TRP options than those found in ebMS, and possibly
a WSDL (or parts thereof) could be pointed at and those references
would replace ebMS specifics found under the current ebXMLBinding tag.
So "merging" might take several different forms quite different from
subsuming one schema inside another, and reducing by one
the number of acronyms we have to track.

So,  I do definitely  think that convergence is possible, but it might
follow several divergent paths. I don't myself see which
convergence-track results in the most "synergistic" outcome, but I
agree we should be alert to the dangers of proliferation and keep an eye
open for re-use options. I hope to participate in the web services group
dealing with WSDL when it gets going, and I would enjoy hearing
how other people image that the convergence/integration
might have beneficial outcomes.

Dale Moberg