Subject: Re: [ebxml-cppa] CPP identification revisited

Dale Moberg wrote:

> I think we should definitely drop the entire Note about
> Registry identifiers for CPPs.

I agree.

> The cppid identifier is supposed to
> be unique, as we now say in v1.07. That
> should give implementers an identifier
> for a CPP.

Think of the use case for this though.  The GUID format using URN's has
no formalized (or normalized) resolution scheme.  If the goal is to
enable a user to fidn a copy of that particular CPP used to make
specific CPA instance, the identifier by itself is not sufficient.  We
need a URN or (whatever else we use for UUID) resolution mechanism.

> Do we need to add a scope
> for globally, universally, cross-all
> actual-and-alternative-universes uniqueness?
>
> The original uniqueness intent was unique
> within CPPs of a Party, which is less
> than globally unique. Maybe we should state the scope
> within which uniqueness is to be assured?

I vote to start with the use cases for the UID.  Do you have a list?  We
started one in the UN/CEFACT eBusiness Architecture Team.

> URN resolution process is still not very
> well-defined, standardized, or even
> with a de facto practice, as far as I can tell from
> the IETF URN WG RFC list. I think that is a 3.0
> goal to explain how using URNs will support interop while
> allowing extensions.

The W3C TAG group has a mandate to figure out stuff like this. Maybe we
should forward this to them.

Duane

--
CTO, XML Global Technologies