Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] isConfidential

MSG TC currently has little
specified about digital enveloping,
which is what we are discussing
under persistent confidentiality.
Mostly digital enveloping specs were
deferred until XML Encryption
became a standard (now a canditate
rec, btw.) So _anything_ we specify
in the area of digital
enveloping is beyond
ebXML 2.0 MSH behavior, IMO.

I do not disagree with your opinion
about the peculiarity of the
analysis of "isConfidential"
as involving "saving a copy"
of the message.

However, we have so far made some effort
to retain both the terminology and
the semantics (as far as we can discern it)
of the BPSS and its underlying UMM.

There does not seem at present a way
to arbitrate disputes about content of
the UMM. I think this is unfortunate.

At present, we either try to straighten
this analysis out, ignore it, or try
to maintain some degree of alignment with it.

We have already spent portions of two
recent conference calls trying to arrive
at some compromise language.

I prefer language that emphasizes the clause:

 "made available to the
 application in accordance
 with local security policies
 implemented to preserve confidentiality."

I personally would be happy to stop there;
and if that local policy included
storing it to disk-- fine, it is covered
under the above clause.

Comments?

Dale