Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] BPSS to WSDL mapping

A follow-up question:  where can I find the BPSS and ebXML/TRP mapping spec?    -George
-----Original Message-----
From: Cory Casanave [mailto:cory-c@enterprise-component.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2002 7:50 PM
To: 'OASIS ebxml-cppa'; 'ebtwg-bps@lists.ebtwg.org'
Subject: [ebxml-cppa] BPSS to WSDL mapping

In a web services seminary this week it became clear that the kinds of capabilities offered by ebXML were directly applicable to enterprise adoption of web services technologies and architectures.  In a panel session it was stated (by an IBM representative) that problems with ebXML were that the adoption was "to fast" and it was "Not linked to WSDL".  Well, we can't go back and slow down the process, but we can fix the latter.

Perhaps in this upcoming release we could include a short section that would specify a mapping from BPSS to WSDL.  There are three basic issues with this mapping.
* BPSS specifies two way mappings where as WSDL is one-way
* BPSS allows for nested collaborations
* BPSS has choreography and other semantics.

To create a representation of the WSDL subset of BPSS semantics would not be that hard.  It would require the production of WSDL for each "side" of a binary collaboration.  The nested collaborations could be "flattened" into one WSDL interface or we could use multiple separate interfaces.  The choreography and other more advanced BPSS semantics would be lost in the WSDL representation but still binding on the services which implement them.

This is not a hard task - it could be done in a day or two.  I suggest that for greater acceptance in the industry we consider adding an XSLT transform to produce the required WSDL and make this part of the next revision - very soon.  This would help bind ebXML into the web services core technologies.  While we (DAT) don't have to bandwidth to do this in the sort time required, we would be happy to assist someone in such a task.

Regards,

Cory B. Casanave, President
Data Access Technologies
www.enterprise-component.com