Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] BPSS to WSDL mapping

Jean-Jacques,
Yes and no.

You can import WSDL into a BPSS specification, (note that you will loose the
endpoint - these would have to go into the CPP).  The WSDL generated BPSS
would, of course, not be as rich as a full BPSS but it does define a service
that is equivalent to the WSDL.  This "reverse engineering" is useful for
adapting to existing systems (Yes, WSDL just became legacy!).  It is also
useful as a starting point to create a more expressive BPSS.

And (Switching directions), while it is true that WSDL produced from BPSS
would not have choreography (for example), so what!  That is not the job of
WSDL.  The BPSS semantics specify this so why reproduce it in WSDL?  WSDL is
low-level endpoint semantics.  You say that we will get this when we have
WSFL - but BPSS is already filling that role, we don't need yet another way
to say the same thing (We will probably get it anyway - so W3C can invent it
:).  You can produce WSDL+WSFL from a BPSS just like you can produce the
WSDL.

We do mappings between lots of technologies, the idea is to map from as high
a level model as you can and produce the set of specifications, code (or
whatever) that captures those semantics.  You don't need to map to just one
thing and you don't need every target to capture every semantic (which is
the job of the higher level model).  So the higher level model should be
considered a constraint on whatever is behind the WSDL (What we call the XML
component).

If WSDL is someday extended to have the BPSS semantics, then we don't need
BPSS.  It is the semantics, not the representation that is essential.  We
can map representations but can't invent semantics.

Cory