Subject: [ebxml-cppa] Version attribute of the CollaborationProtocolProfile andCollaborationProtocolAgreement elements

During today's CPP/A conference call, there was consensus among the
attendees (Dale, Marty, Tony, Arvola) that the version attribute should be
re-interpreted as the version of the CPP/A specification (or the version of
the CPP/A schema) that the CollaborationProtocolProfile or
CollaborationProtocolAgreement element is conforming to, rather than as the
version of the CollaborationProtocolProfile or
CollaborationProtocolAgreement itself. In other words, a new cppid/cpaid
must be generated any time a CollaborationProtocolProfile or
CollaborationProtocolAgreement is modified.

This interpretation of the version attribute will make the CPP/A
specification more or less aligned with the ebMS specification. The latter
states:

"
2.3.8 version attribute
The REQUIRED version attribute indicates the version of the ebXML Message
Service Header Specification to which the ebXML SOAP Header extensions
conform. Its purpose is to provide future versioning capabilities. For
conformance to this specification, all of the version attributes on any SOAP
extension elements defined in this specification MUST have a value of "2.0".
An ebXML message MAY contain SOAP header extension elements that have a
value other than "2.0". An implementation
conforming to this specification that receives a message with ebXML SOAP
extensions qualified with a version other than "2.0" MAY process the message
if it recognizes the version identified and is capable of processing it. It
MUST respond with an error if it does not recognize the identified version.
The version attribute MUST be namespace qualified for the ebXML SOAP
Envelope extensions namespace defined above.
"

Before we decide on whether the version attribute should be set to the
version of the CPP/A specification or to the version of the CPP/A schema,
let me first propose how we are going to version the CPP/A schema to provide
bug fixes. I am assuming that the schema may have to be revised more
frequently than the spec itself. Instead of generating different versions of
the spec to provide bug fixes, we will include a URL to an errata page in
the specification itself, similar to the approach employed in the ebMS
specification.

We have previously decided that the CPP/A namespace

  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ebxml-msg/schema/cpp-cpa-2_0.xsd

should be directly resolvable. Therefore, the latest schema associated with
the CPP/A namespace must always be retrievable from the above location.

My proposal is to name the initial version of the CPP/a schema that we
publish along with the 2.0 CPP/A specification cpp-cpa-2_0a.xsd. Successive
versions of the schema will be named cpp-cpa-2_0b.xsd, cpp-cpa-2_0c.xsd,
etc. The version attribute of the Schema element within the above files will
accordingly be set to "2_0a", "2_0b", and "2_0c", respectively. In addition,
the file retrievable from

  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ebxml-msg/schema/cpp-cpa-2_0.xsd

will always contain the latest version of the schema we have published. Just
by examining the version attribute of the Schema element within

  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ebxml-msg/schema/cpp-cpa-2_0.xsd

we should be able to determine which is the latest version of the schema
that is in effect.

We can require that the version attribute of the
CollaborationProtocolProfile and CollaborationProtocolAgreement elements be
always set to "2_0" to reflect the version of the CPP/A specification, or we
can require that they be set to values like "2_0a", "2_0b", etc., to reflect
the version of the schema that is in use.

While today's attendees (Dale, Marty, Tony, Arvola) seem more in favor of
using the schema version, Chris has suggested in his postings that the
specification version should be used.

Let's settle on using of these two values for the version attribute during
this Friday's conference call.

-Arvola