Subject: RE: [ebxml-jc] discussion list, ebxml mktg - and WP outline

Title: RE: [ebxml-jc] discussion list, ebxml mktg - and WP outline

Thanks Jamie,

Anyone willing to be the JC contact point for this discussion list?

Here is also attached a white paper outline. If there is enough agreement (73% or more)
on its structure, we could start assigning parts. The key point is to gain a minimum
of momentum, nourished by the warm feeling that this work is not vain and that the end of
it is [already] in sight...:-)
So I propose that at each JC meeting we go through the progress on this paper.

Yours,

Jacques

-----Original Message-----
From: James Bryce Clark [mailto:jamie.clark@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 10:27 AM
To: ebxml-jc@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: carol.geyer@oasis-open.org; karl.best@oasis-open.org
Subject: [ebxml-jc] discussion list, ebxml mktg

     Confirming our conversation at today's meeting, a proposal to create a
new TC (e.g. ebxml marketing) likely would qualify for an OASIS discussion
list, to discuss and gauge interest in the potential project.   The
requirements, which are fairly light, can be found at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#discussionlists.   I
suggest that the JC identify a member to run with this, and that this
person check in with my colleagues Karl Best (who is the creator of those
lists) and Carol Geyer (who might have some very helpful suggestions on
what to include in the brief official list description).  Regards  JBC

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Manager, Technical Standards Development, OASIS
~   http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.shtml
~   +1 978 667 5115 x 203 main office (messages)
~   +1 310 293 6739 direct (usually US Pacific time)

ebXML White Paper Synopsis
==========================

NOTES:
- the audience is "technical executive", say CTO and IT management, since they are decision makers on
adopting ebXML. Yet the style should resonate with vertical users with a B2B experience (e.g. EDI).
- Each section would average 3-5 pages (overall paper between 30-50 pages, including figures).
Sections don't have to give an exhaustive view of the material referred to, nor a balanced summary,
but should convey the rationale behind it, and may focus on a few remarkable features.
Each section could include a short FAQ at the end.
- The outline below is rather classic, in breaking down by component. It could be different: describe
first the ISO version, then separately the future version (But the latter is too unstable today to deserve
a full section.) Or, could downplay the components and focus more on the integrated view, how everything
works together, giving away features details while unwinding scenarios & use cases. I though it would
be sufficient to have Section 1 do a bit of this binding-it-all-together job.
- we could involve marketing team to do Section #9.

1. ebXML: the Requirements, the Approach

- short definition: an ISO standard for Exchanging business messages, Conducting trading relationships,
Defining and registering business processes, Communicating data in common terms, Assembling business transactions.
- the business case (EDI-compatible in both content and architecture, accessible to SMEs, non-managed env.,
covering all partners of a supply chain, XML-based)
- an integrated approach of B2B focusing on interoperability needs, yet loose coupling with back-end systems.
- transitioning to ebXML (migration path)
- anatomy of an ebXML deployment (showing architecture, the interaction steps in usage scenarios)

2. Messaging

- Overview of current version
(requirements & design principles, summary of salient features, some use cases, relationship with other ebXML parts)
(this has to be described in a creative way: not a tech report,  but rationale and differentiation with what
exists outside)
- the next version: what is new, the new requirements. (Web services protocols, payload services, richer MEPs...)

3. Business Transactions and Collaborations

- Overview of current version
(requirements & design principles, summary of salient features, use case, relationship with other ebXML parts)
- the next version: what is new, the new requirements.

4. Collaboration Protocol Agreements

- Overview of current version
(requirements & design principles, summary of salient features, use case, relationship with other ebXML parts)
- the next version: what is new, the new requirements.

5. The Registry-Repository

- Overview of current version
(requirements & design principles, summary of salient features, use case, relationship with other ebXML parts)
- the next version: what is new, the new requirements.

6. Standardizing COntent

- Core components (requirements & design principles, summary of salient features)
- UBL

7. Testing ebXML

- Summary of Interop tests in US, Asia, Europe.
- the role of IIC, test suites and test framework.

8. Deploying ebXML in a SOA environment
- where ebXML fits in (example arch from GM)
- pilot projects (AIAG...)

9. Who deploys ebXML
- survey
- what do people do with ebXML, value they see.