Subject: an update

Title: an update

Quick update on the call today (restating minutes):

- we have given homework to everyone who did not complain (including absentees  ;-)

1. White paper:

we'd like to see a rough outline (bullet list of what would be developed in each part of the paper) by next meeting (October 6).

That is not too hard a first step: takes between 30mn and 1h for each assignee.

See the current structure of the paper below, which is still flexible.
Parts have beem (partially) assigned as follows.

1. ebXML: the Requirements, the Approach (TBD, thinking of a marketing team member, David Webber?)
2. Messaging (preferred: Ian - can reuse one of your presentations material? someone from MS TC can assist here too)
3. Business Transactions and Collaborations (Monica/Dale)
4. Collaboration Protocol Agreements (Dale)
5. The Registry-Repository (Kathryn)
6. Standardizing COntent (Jon Bosak?)
7. Testing ebXML (Jacques)
8. Deploying ebXML in a SOA environment (Matt)
9. Who deploys ebXML today (a marketing person may consolidate and edit the input we provide)

2. ebXML Adoption discussion list:

I propose we create this list asap with participants below
(at same time we are considering broadening the sending of the invite to ebxml-mktg / ebxml-dev. Any opinion on this?)

- members of JC (let us know if you don't)
- Joe Speed (jspeed@cyclonecommerce.com)
- Lisa Schiltz (lschiltz@us.fujitsu.com)
- Dick Brooks (dick@tech-comm.com)
- Patrick Hogan (phogan@sinotechnologies.com)
- David Webber (david@drrw.info)
- OASIS management (Carol? other?)

Regards,

Jacques

ebXML White Paper Synopsis
==========================

NOTES:
- the audience is "technical executive", say CTO and IT management, since they are decision makers on
adopting ebXML. Yet the style should resonate with vertical users with a B2B experience (e.g. EDI).
- also, for those already familiar with ebXML, the paper should give a feel of the future version.
- Each section would average 3-5 pages (overall paper between 30-50 pages, including figures).
Sections don't have to give an exhaustive view of the material referred to, nor a balanced summary,
but should convey the rationale behind it, and may focus on a few remarkable features.
Each section could include a short FAQ at the end.
- The outline below is rather classic, in breaking down by component. It could be different: describe
first the ISO version, then separately the future version (But the latter is too unstable today to deserve
a full section.) Or, could downplay the components and focus more on the integrated view, how everything
works together, giving away features details while unwinding scenarios & use cases. I though it would
be sufficient to have Section 1 do a bit of this binding-it-all-together job.
- we could involve marketing team to do Section #9.

1. ebXML: the Requirements, the Approach

- short definition: an ISO standard for Exchanging business messages, Conducting trading relationships,
Defining and registering business processes, Communicating data in common terms, Assembling business transactions.
- the business case (EDI-compatible in both content and architecture, accessible to SMEs, non-managed env.,
covering all partners of a supply chain, XML-based)
- an integrated approach of B2B focusing on interoperability needs, yet loose coupling with back-end systems.
- transitioning to ebXML (migration path)
- anatomy of an ebXML deployment (showing architecture, the interaction steps in usage scenarios)

2. Messaging

- Overview of current version
(requirements & design principles, summary of salient features, some use cases, relationship with other ebXML parts)
(this has to be described in a creative way: not a tech report,  but rationale and differentiation with what
exists outside)
- the roadmap: what is next, the new requirements. (Web services protocols, payload services, richer MEPs...)

3. Business Transactions and Collaborations

- Overview of current version
(requirements & design principles, summary of salient features, use case, relationship with other ebXML parts)
- the roadmap: what is next, the new requirements.

4. Collaboration Protocol Agreements

- Overview of current version
(requirements & design principles, summary of salient features, use case, relationship with other ebXML parts)
- the roadmap: what is next, the new requirements.

5. The Registry-Repository

- Overview of current version
(requirements & design principles, summary of salient features, use case, relationship with other ebXML parts)
- the roadmap: what is next, the new requirements.

6. Standardizing COntent

- Core components (requirements & design principles, summary of salient features)
- UBL

7. Testing ebXML

- Summary of Interop tests in US, Asia, Europe.
- the role of IIC, test suites and test framework.

8. Deploying ebXML in a SOA environment
- where ebXML fits in (example arch from GM)
- pilot projects (AIAG...)

9. Who deploys ebXML
- survey
- what do people do with ebXML, value they see.