Subject: Re: T2: Use of UTC for Timestamp not mandated.

Agreed,

I believe that this issue was raised a while back (before we
wrapped things up) where he suggested that the spec REQUIRE
the use of the canonical represntation of timeInstant (now
dateTime).

I thought we had adopted this, but I see that the spec doesn't
reflect this requirement. I don't recall if there was any opposition.
Barring any research back to the previous drafts of the XMLSchema
specification, I would recommend that we adopt an errata that
both updates the ebXML MS specification to conform with the
now W3C Recommendation for XMLSchema [1] as well as adopts the proposal
that all dateTime elements be required to be expressed using the
canonical representation of dateTime as defined in section 3.2.7.2
of [1].

Further, since the canonical representation may omit the timezone,
its absence SHALL be interpreted as inferring UTC.

Therefore, I would propose that the following change/errata be
adopted.

[802] The REQUIRED Timestamp element is a value representing the
time that the message was created. It SHALL be expressed as a
canonical representation of the dateTime datatype as defined in
section 3.2.7.2 of [XMLSchema-2]. Absence of the "Z" timezone
qualification for Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) SHALL be
inferred as meaning UTC.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime

Cheers,

Chris