Subject: RE: T2: Use of UTC for Timestamp not mandated.

Sanjay

I agree with you. This will be added to the T2 suggested changes list.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Cherian, Sanjay [mailto:Sanjay_Cherian@stercomm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 1:06 PM
To: Burdett, David
Cc: ebXML Msg
Subject: T2: Use of UTC for Timestamp not mandated.

Hi,

These are the places in the specification where <TimeStamp/> appears:
8.4.6.2, 8.5.2.3, 8.6.1, 8.13.2 and 8.14.1.
One of the descriptions has been included below for reference:

[Line 801]	8.4.6.2 Timestamp element
[Line 802]	The REQUIRED Timestamp is a value representing the time that
the message header was created
[Line 803]	conforming to an [XMLSchema] timeInstant.

This statement does not mandate that UTC be used when date and time is
specified with <Timestamp/>. On the other
hand, there is no facility in the CPP to define the time zone that one party
operates within and no facility in the CPA
to capture the timezone that two parties must agree upon.

The use of UTC is suggested through all the examples in the specification
that use <Timestamp/>. For example:

[Line 953]	<eb:Timestamp>2000-07-25T12:19:05Z</eb:Timestamp>

I understand that the Z at the end indicates that the time specified here is
relative to UTC (the same as GMT).

In my opinion, it is a small matter to require the use of UTC in the ebMS
specification.

Thanks,
Sanjay J. Cherian
Software Architect