Subject: Re: S/MIME

David,

Please see below.

Cheers,

Chris

David Fischer wrote:

> Agreed, my only concern is that S/MIME has an impact on Manifest.  Off the top
> of my head I can't think of any other payload which would do this (maybe
> compression?).

What impact does it have? If the application needs to decrypt the S/MIME
payload, then the payload is the encrypted S/MIME object. It would be
assumed then that the application, once it decrypted the S/MIME object
would deal with the resultant parts accordingly, no?

> What if the entire envelope were S/MIME encrypted?  I expect someone will try
> this and I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with it nor do I see anything
> in the spec which would prohibit something like this.

This would be effectively a separate transport binding. You and anyone else is
free to specify one of these and share it with others. It is not the goal
of the ebMS specification to describe/specify all possible transport bindings.