Subject: Signature Transforms

Hi Ralph,

Remember in Vienna when we went back and forth on whether it is necessary to
create a transform to exclude the Signature element?  I'm still not sure. . .

http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/PR-xmldsig-core-20010820/

       <Reference URI="">
         <Transforms>
           <Transform
             Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xpath-19991116">
             <XPath xmlns:dsig="&dsig;">

not(ancestor-or-self::dsig:Signature)
             </XPath>
           </Transform>
         </Transforms>
         <DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1"/>
         <DigestValue>. . .</DigestValue>
       </Reference>

This seems to have a Transform excluding the Signature element.  However, in our
example on page 54 we have:

       <ds:Reference URI="">
            <Transforms>
                <Transform
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xpath-19991116">
                  <XPath xmlns:dsig="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#">
                              not(ancestor-or-self::eb:TraceHeaderList or
                      ancestor-or-self::eb:Via)
                 </XPath>
                 </Transform>
             </Transforms>
         <ds:DigestMethod
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#dsa-sha1"/>
         <ds:DigestValue>...</ds:DigestValue>
       </ds:Reference>

We don't exclude the Signature in the Transform.  In Vienna, we decided that
this happened automatically, can you confirm?

Regards,

David Fischer
Drummond Group.