Subject: Re: reliable messaging - hop by hop

Guys,
Reading through this discussion on RM reinforces the idea that we haven't
really addressed the issue from a layering point of vew. I remember many
happy :-) hours spent at the whiteboard actively discussing this over the
last 18 months. We need to really understand what is RM and what is a
reliable business process. I offer this as a starting point:

1. Reliable messaging over a single hop ensures that a message (thought of
as an opaque buffer) is delivered once and once only from a sender to a
receiver. This corresponds to delivery from a sending MSH to a receiving
MSH with no intermediaries in the ebXML context. This is similar to the
MQSeries and HTTPR approach - somple point-to-point reliable delivery. Note
that there is no talk about Acknowledgement receipts, NRR or whatever -
this is simply getting a buffer from one point to another.
2. Sitting above this single hop is a distributed layer which handles the
intermediaries. This is where the routing, LDAP (or whatever directories
are needed), SOAP-RP is used. This layer relies on the lower, reliable
delivery, single hop capabilities but inspects attributes of the message
(mainly the ultimate recipient) to route the message. I believe from a
performance point of view, the message must be as opaque as possible for
routing to be as efficient as possible. Decrypting, encrypting and
signatures should be kept out of this layer.
3. We then get to the end-points - the applications that send and receive
the message. This is where the business process sits and I view things like
NRR and anything to do with signatures as sitting here. Anything in the
lower layers may alter the syntax of the message but it is only at the
application level that the semantics (meaning) of the message can be
altered.

To answer David's question on MQSeries, it does not issue NRRs in the sense
that has been discussed. There are programming exits that can be used to
add those features, but the base product does not support it. It provides
the services described in layers 1 and 2 above.

Comments ?
John

XML Technology and Messaging,
IBM UK Ltd, Hursley Park,
Winchester, SO21 2JN

Tel: (work) +44 (0)1962 815188        (home) +44 (0)1722 781271
Fax: +44 (0)1962 816898
Notes Id: John Ibbotson/UK/IBM
email: john_ibbotson@uk.ibm.com

                    christopher
                    ferris                  To:     ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org,
                    <chris.ferris@eas        ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org
                    t.sun.com>              cc:
                    08/29/2001 02:54
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    christopher
                    ferris

David,

A NRR *may* not be meaningful in a legal sense unless it is
signed by an authorized signer. The private key for the certificate
that is authorized *may* not be available to the MSH for security
reasons.

This is why it is my strong belief that NRR is an "application"
function. It does not seem reasonable to me to impose a requirement
that the private keys that carry a weight of authority be made
available to an MSH.

This is not to say that an MSH does not have certificates that
can be used to sign and/or encrypt message traffic. It is just that
these certificates are potentially more vulnerable and hence they
may only be accorded marginal trust (they may be used to sign and
encrypt data such that message traffic confidentiality and integrity
is preserved, but they cannot necessarily be used for authentication
of anything other than the software that transmits the message).

NRR is most assuredly an important aspect of electronic business
message exchange. Of that there is no doubt. However, its function
is somewhat orthogonal to a reliable messaging protocol.

Cheers,

Chris

David Fischer wrote:

> I guess I take more of the end view.  I need an Acknowledgement/Receipt
from my
> trading partner at the other end saying they received the message (not
> application processing).  Often, I need it to have a MIC and be signed by
the
> end for legal reasons (NRR).  An Acknowledgement from some other
intermediary
> tells me nothing.  How it gets there is of little or no consequence to me
(Black
> Box).  If I don't get the Acknowledgement/Receipt then I need to be able
to send
> the exact message again and not have someone in the middle stop my retry
> attempt.
>
> However, if the folks that handle the intermediaries tell me they need
certain
> mechanisms to make this transfer happen, then I am happy to oblige --
provided I
> still get end-to-end NRR.
>
> Regards,
>
> David Fischer
> Drummond Group.

PM

> To:   Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
> cc:   jacques durand <jacques@savvion.com>, "'christopher ferris'"
>       <chris.ferris@east.sun.com>, ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org,
>       ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org
> Subject:  RE: reliable messaging
>
> I don't think that we are that far apart the critical difference in view
is
> around the "requirement" that the From Application is informed of the
> delivery failure.
>
> For example, what should an implementation do if the application has no
> existing reasonable method of being notified of the delivery failure. In
> this case, one reasonable approach might be for the MSH to log the
failure
> and then provide a GUI which allows a user to browse the log and decide
> what
> to do. I think that if we use a "SHALL" we would preclude the second
> option.
>
> I think that if we take your view literally it would mean that if an
> application could not accept this type of notification then the
application
> MUST be changed before ebXML reliable messaging could be used? I don't
> think
> this is reasonable. Thoughts?
>
> I also think that there are two types of delivery notification:
> 1. The From MSH reporting delivery failure to the From Application, and
> 2. Another MSH (not the From MSH) reporting a delivery failure to the
From
> MSH.
> I think you are focusing on the first. I'm thinking of both.
>
> More detail below marked with <db></db>
>
> Best wishes.
>
> David

PM

<jacques@savvion.com>
> cc:   "'christopher ferris'" <chris.ferris@east.sun.com>,
>       ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org, ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org
> Subject:  RE: reliable messaging
>
> Marty/Jacques
>
> I think I agree with both of you.
> 1. We need to make much stronger statements about the From Party MSH
> notifying the From Party Application that a message was not delivered.
> 2. We can't make it a "SHALL" or "MUST" as we have not specified the API
> and
> we can't check compliance.
>
> MWS:  We can make it a SHALL and worry about defining the API later.
This
> is
> no different than every other function in the MS spec.
> <db>See discussion above.</db>
>
> So let's try and agree some words. How about the following for the
> replacement first and last paragraphs in section 10.4 ...
>
> Current first para (lines 1874-6) ...
> >>If a message sent with deliverySemantics set to OnceAndOnlyOnce cannot
be
> delivered, the MSH or process SHOULD send a delivery failure notification
> the From Party. The delivery failure notification message contains: ...<<
>
> Revised first para ...
> >>A MSH that is not the From Party MSH might receive a message sent with
> deliverySemantics set to OnceAndOnlyOnce that it determines cannot be
> delivered to the To Party application or other process that is the final
> destination of the message. In this case, the MSH MUST send a delivery
> failure notification to the From Party that contains: ...<<
>
> MWS:  This is not sufficient.  A delivery failure notification sent over
> the
> network is inherently unreliable.  The From MSH will learn, from failure
> receive an ACK after the specified number of retries, that the message
was
> not delivered. The From MSH can reliably send a delivery failure
> notification
> to the From application.
> <db>This is paragraph is saying what a MSH which *NOT* the From MSH
should
> do. I think your answer is saying what the From MSH should do which is
> covered later.</db>
>
> We should also add to the bulleted list ...
> >>. a deliverySemantics attribute set to OnceAndOnlyOnce<<
> ... as the message should be sent reliably.
>
> Current last para (lines 1886-9) ...
> >>It is possible that an error message with an Error element with an
> ErrorCode set to DeliveryFailure cannot be delivered successfully for
some
> reason. If this occurs, then the From party that is the ultimate
> destination
> for the error message SHOULD be informed of the problem by other means.
How
> this is done is outside the scope of this specification.<<
>
> Revised last para, its now two and has sub headings ...
> >>10.4.1 From Party MSH Behavior
> The From Party MSH that sent a message with deliverySemantics set to
> OnceAndOnlyOnce might determine that the message could not delivered. In
> this case it is strongly RECOMMENDED that the From Party MSH notify the
> application or other process that requested the message be sent of the
> delivery failure. This should indicate whether the failure was certain,
for
> example, there was a communications failure that meant the message could
> not
> be sent, or probable, for example, although the message was sent, no
> acknowledgement or delivery receipt was received.
>
> MWS:  As indicated above, I do not agree to anything weaker than SHALL.
The
> [...]
message
> to the "To MSH" as it is down.
>
> What should the intermediate MSH do the options as I see it are:
> 1. Do nothing. The From MSH will then deduce that the delivery failed as
no
> Delivery Receipt was received. Note that there is an edge case as
> previously
> disccussed that the From MSH must assume that there is a small
probability
> that it was delivered.
> 2. Send a "Delivery Failure" message to the From MSH. This means that the
> From MSH is then positively informed that the message was not delivered.
> prefer this option and it is what the current spec says.
>
> Neither of these options preclude the From MSH informing the From
> Application of the results of sending the message.
> </db>
>
> We also need to change lines 1849-53 in section 10.3.4 as this is now
> covered in section 10.4 (see above). We also could extend it to describe
> the
> idea of checking that MSHs are up and running. Currently these lines
> contain
> >>. If the Sending MSH does not receive an Acknowledgment Message after
the
> maximum number of retries, the Sending MSH SHOULD notify the application
> and/or system administrator function of the failure to receive an
> acknowledgement.
>
> MWS:  SHALL
> <db> Marty!! This is what the current spec says!! I know you object to it
> ;)
> </db>
> . If the Sending MSH detects an unrecoverable communications protocol
error
> at the transport protocol level, the Sending MSH SHOULD resend the
> message.<<
>
> We could replace it with ...
> >>. If the Sending MSH does not receive an Acknowledgmemt Message after
the
> maximum number of retries then the Sending MSH SHOULD:
>    a) Send a Message Service Handler Ping Message to the same MSH one or
> more times as the Sending MSH determines.
>    b) If no Message Service Handler Pong Messages are received then the
> Sending MSH MUST carry out the Failed Message Delivery behavior as
> described
> in section 10.4<<
>
> MWS:  If this ping/pong is new for me.
> <db>It's in version 1.0 of the spec.</db>
> If it is useful in resolving doubt,
> the SHOULD probably should be changed to SHALL.  However given that the
> maximum number of retries has failed, it isn't obvious what value there
is
> performing ping/pong.  If there is value to it, the (b) need also to
state
> what
> do do if ping/poing succeeds.
> <db>Good point. If the ping succeeds then they should retry sending the

Once
> we have the API definition, we can go back and improve the description of
> the contract and the assumptions on the implementations to take the API
> into account but the assumptions and contract do not change.
>
> Regards,
> Marty

> *********
>
> Martin W. Sachs
> IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
> P. O. B. 704
> Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
> 914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
> Notes address:  Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM
> Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

> *********
>
> jacques durand <jacques@savvion.com> on 08/24/2001 07:59:31 PM
>
> To:   "Burdett, David" <david.burdett@commerceone.com>
> cc:   "'christopher ferris'" <chris.ferris@east.sun.com>,
>       ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org, ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org
> Subject:  Re: reliable messaging
>
> "Burdett, David" wrote:
>
> > Chris said ...

> > delivery, using the Retries and RetryInterval to govern processing.
When
> the
> > number of retries identified by Retries is exceeded, the sending MSH
> > SHOULD notify the sending "party" by some means that is unspecified
> > (e.g. notify the application through some API that it provides, log
> > something
> > useful in an error log, etc.)<<<
> >
> > Note that there is an edge case where all the acknowledgements that
were
> > sent failed to be delivered, e.g. maybe a MSH can receive messages but
> not
> > send them. This means that even though no acknowledgement was received,
> the
> > message was actually delivered.
>
> That is indeed a point we have demonstrated in past POC.
> Clearly, RM cannot be substituted to a message-based transaction service,
> which
> is the right
> level to guarantee consistency across parties' apps. But it can be the
> basis for
> such a service.
> By NOT receiving an ack, the sender should not infer that the receiver
has
> not
> received the message:
> only that the reception has not been confirmed, and that it is OK to
resend
> it
> (the duplication check doing the cleanup job on receiver side).
>
> Regardless of what RM can or can't do, the question raise dby Martin W
> Sachs
> ( the requirement to notify sending party) is interesting in that it
> depends on
> the definition
> of RM:
> (1) if RM is a contract between sending party, receiving party, and MSH
> transport layer, then
> these sender notifications (as well as elimination of duplicate for
> receiver)
> are part of the contract.
> (2) if RM is a contract between two end-point MSHs, then these
> notifications
> have no normative
> value.
>
> My understanding is that (2) is currently applies (so SHOULD should
remain
> SHOULD...)
> However, once an formal MS API is specified, the MS spec will have to
> address
> the
> "contract" value of such API, with regard to sender and receiver...
>
> My two cents...
>
> Jacques Durand
> Savvion
>

> > David
> > PS Catching up on emails and logging them into the change request
> database
> > ;)

Once