Subject: RE: T2 Retry with Delivery Receipt

Chris, good explanation about how things might work.  However, none of this is
in the spec.  If this is all correct, then why bother to have
reliableMessagingMethod in Via -- or why bother having it at all?  I don't
dispute that your way would work, and maybe we should do it this way, but what
you are describing does not align with the current spec although it could be a
subset of the current functionality.

The way RM was designed was to allow for other RM methods.  Your explanation
does not cover those and I can't find your "routing application" anywhere in the
spec.  If this is some sort of source routing protocol (workflow routing), we
have specifically avoided that in the current spec.  I have tried to stay out of
the IM functionality discussion but I have to think that an IM which does more
than store-and-forward is out of our scope for this version.

I do like the way you hop over unreliable nodes.  Let's just hop over everything
and do end-to-end RM only!

Regards,

David Fischer
Drummond Group.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Ferris [mailto:chris.ferris@sun.com]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 2:00 PM
To: David Fischer
Cc: Martin W Sachs; Dan Weinreb; ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org

David,

In this case, where the MSH doesn't support ebXML RM protocol,
you cannot send a message with OnceAndOnlyOnce semantics. It
MUST send back an error "Not Supported".

My point is that the RM protocol is hop-to-hop and the end-to-end
semantics are achieved by having each hop be reliable (whether
using ebXML RM or something else).

Think of it this way:

		  (routing app)
		     |	|
	A[eb] <-> [eb]B  B[MQ] <-> [MQ]C

In this case, the B intermediary is reliable and supports
both ebXML RM *and* MQ series. Whether these are separate
instances or the same instance with multiple capabilities
is irrelevant. It may be distributed for that matter. The
routing app needs to be reliable as well (just as any other
app) because it should ONLY mark the message as having been
processed if it has successfully processed it.

We can be more explicit regarding what responsibilities are
at an intermediary node here, but IMHO, there really is no
difference here between a routing "application" and an endpoint
business "application" in that the MSH has a responsibility to
ensure that the "application" processes the message.

The B node above could all be a single piece of software,
operating as a routing intermediary (which would certainly make
it more robust), but we have nothing to say on the matter
as far as our specification is concerned.

I don't think that we need to address the situation where two
adjacent nodes don't support the same RM protocol. That would
be (IMHO) no different that an SMTP node trying to foist the SMTP
protocol on an HTTP server. They speak different protocols
and can never interact directly without some manner of gateway.

Cheers,

Chris