Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Issue 15: Use of the word OPTIONAL

Marty, your characterization of the RFC2119 words gives me great pause.  If you
were correct, then we must erase these words from our vocabulary -- which
certainly was not the intent of the RFC.  I must strongly disagree concerning
those words used in non-upper case (*must* as opposed to *MUST*).  Standard
usage in RFCs has been strictly with ALL CAPS.  This has also been true
throughout the development process of TRP/ebXML-MS and in all our discussions.

However, just be sure, I went to the IETF and asked.  The answers so far have
been in favor of only ALL CAPS (see attached) invoking the definitions in 2119.
They do acknowledge the confusion as you have cited.  One interesting example
was the word May -- the name of a month.  Should this also be an RFC2119 key
word?

I'm sorry Marty, but the 2119 definitions only apply to ALL CAPS, unless we
define otherwise in our specification.  We have been VERY careful with these
words and we have only used them (the ALL CAPS versions) when we really mean the
2119 definitions -- including our use of OPTIONAL.

Regards,

David.

Note:  If more responses come in from the IETF, I will be happy to forward them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin W Sachs [mailto:mwsachs@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 4:59 PM
To: David Fischer
Cc: Doug Bunting; ebXML

Conformance to RFC2119 means that the word OPTIONAL (or optional) means
that an implementer does not have to provide that which is stated as
optional.  We don't want to confuse anyone into thinking that non-required
elements or attributes do not have to be provided by implementers.  Don't
assume that implementers will catch on.  The words in a specification have
to be precise.

Regards,
Marty

*****