Subject: Re: Clarification on procedure RE: [ebxml-msg] Voting on MS spec 2.0

Dale,

As we have discussed during some recent teleconferences, it is not at all
clear the OASIS process allows for such revisions during the standardization
process.  That process is intended to approve a stable specification and makes
no allowance for errata sheets.  It requires any (negative) comments received
during the member review be resolved through a) replying to the comment that
it will be ignored or b) changing the specification to reflect the suggested
improvement and coming back later with that updated document set.

I voted against OASIS submission because I don't believe we'll be able to make
the necessary changes by any means, including the errata page, after that
submission.  I think we're voting to approve a particular set of words and an
XSD document that's not quite stable enough to go unchanged for the next 4
months.

If we're going to be able to resolve the many issues already before the
committee during the administrative and voting periods, I'd like to hear that
now.  Such parallel work would take us to an improved final product, the new
OASIS standard, in a shorter time than otherwise possible.

thanx,
    doug