Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] roles o f IIC and of Drummond Group

Title: RE: [ebxml-msg] Have you implemented Version 2.0 ?
Lisa and all:

Let me report on the general view and line of action of the ebXML IIC TC on this - as this was questioned,
(and we have had this debate quite some time before you did :)

First, in the IIC TC we are currently designing - with intent to develop as well - a conformance
testbed, for testing the conformance of an MSH implementation to the MS standard.
I am chairing a small task force to this effect (including  NIST, XMLGlobal, Fujitsu).
We certainly welcome any additional contribution (so far my calls have been limited to the IIC maillist)

Now on the interoperability / conformance issue:
When we started to look into this at IIC (last August), we came to realize that:

(1) Conformance to the spec does not guarantee Interoperability. Indeed, interoperability is more
about compliance to an "agreement" (formal or not) than to the specification, and is always dependent
on many factors that are out of the scope of a specification : reliance on and features of 3rd
party packages (e.g. security), transport issues and configuration, level of XML validation,
and many other mundane details that you cannot imagine unless you have actually been involved in one of these past
ebXML POC demos. Currently, we recognize that the only sure way to guarantee interoperability between
diverse implementations, is to do what DGI is doing. And we have to recognize that with the tools of today this is
quite resource intensive (though we certainly hope - and act- so that it will not stay that way!) and is currently
way beyond the resources of IIC. The way the IIC will contribute to interoperability, is primarily
by releasing MS Implementation Guidelines (currently being written). This alone will clarify
and remove many ambiguities, inform on tools - or suggest implementation choices, take a stand
on "gray" spec areas,  which in turn will reduce possible mismatches.

(2) Interoperability is not a substitute for Conformance. Just because you have a group of
implementations that can interoperate 1-to-1 does not mean they are conforming to the specification.
They might indeed restrict themselves for convenience to a subset of features, or a to particular
modes of operation, or share the same "interpretation" which can be too narrow or flawed.
This is more in the IIC charter to check this, we believe. So we are designing conformance test cases, and a testbed.
Our first objective will be to implement end-to-end a small portion of conformance testing,
and to make this as automated as possible. (building an exhaustive MS conformance test requires
also a substantial effort - we expect to attract more resources after a first demo!)

It is too early to tell at this point whether and when we will have a *full* conformance test procedure,
something a certification authority can use. But we are careful to develop a testing technology that:
(1) can be extended to various and additional test cases,
(2)  is reusable for  future versions of MS (and even different messaging environments)
(3) can be used to support interoperability testing
(4) is automated (XML-based test driver and test cases, separate validation of the trace, etc.)

The IIC has no working or business relationship with DGI (except we share a member...),
but we acknowledge their role.
However we (IIC) participate in the OAG B2B TestBed activities, helping OAG (www.openapplications.org)  and NIST to
upgrade their current HTTP testbed to ebXML. There is synergy here with IIC - both sides can benefit
from each other experience.

The general scenario we envision that provides the rationale for all this is:

1- Company A has implemented an MSH. It will first undergo conformance testing. We expect this can be
done with little external assistance, by remote access or even downloading the testbed.
(However, if certification is the objective, a certification authority, e.g. NIST, will need to validate the test outputs).

2- Company A will then undergo interoperability testing with other MSH implementations (e.g. using DGI tests).
This should be easier/faster (and therefore less expensive), given that the previous conformance test has
removed many roadblocks.

3- COmpany A can then deliver its MSH to customers along with its B2B products, or use it itself for business.
The user company will then participate to application-level B2B testing activity as required by content standards
such as OAG or RosettaNet, focusing on the business content of the message, and the choreography.

4- Company A and its peers still perform occasional "maintenance" testing procedures, using test cases and technology
developed in (1) and (2), as this is critical to their business.

So everyone is putting resources in this, and certainly the investing companies all have some form of interest
in the outcome - possibly not as "fast-return" as in the case of DGI-, but nevertheless worth it in the longer run
We also believe the testing technology and know-how that goes with it - interop or conformance - is
critical to the success of such business standards, and is something that goes beyond one-time validation, as these
environemts are doomed to evolve and undergo separately multiple configuration changes and upgrades.

And to conclude on a practical note, remember we welcome contributions on MS conformance test cases and testbed...

Regards,

jacques Durand
ebXML IIC
Fujitsu