Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] AS4 - clarification on pulling from the default channel with no WS-Security UserName tokens

Ok... so in this sense, it's not much different than the alternative pull
authorization explicitly detailed in section 3.3 of the AS4 spec that uses
the client authentication of a pull request over HTTPs.  In the same way,
the transport layer is providing the authentication and the MSH layer
"trusts" the gateway and there's some glue between the two layers to make
that seamless.  We could have easily had a section in the AS4 spec that
explicitly supports Basic Authentication for pull requests as an alternative
method.

I get it.  Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Makesh Rao (marao) [mailto:marao@cisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2013 10:40 AM
To: timothy@drummondgroup.com; 'Theo Kramer'; ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] AS4 - clarification on pulling from the default
channel with no WS-Security UserName tokens

Hi Timothy

Yes, the authentication happens at the HTTP layer as you say, but since its
is the MSH that needs to honor the Pull, we have had to build functionality
to "trust" the gateway that does the authentication and use the credentials
being passed to service the Pull. So if you ask how does your AS4 MSH handle
a missing WSSE username/password? I'll say we don't throw an error and
support an unauthenticated Pull because there is never a WSSE header in some
cases.

Thanks
Makesh

On 5/9/13 8:05 AM, "Timothy Bennett" <timothy@drummondgroup.com> wrote:

>I'm guessing, Makesh, that implementation occurs at the HTTP transport
>layer, correct?  Not at the AS4 message processing layer, right?  You
>are talking about HTTP Basic Auth, right?
>
>Theo's question is really about the AS4 MSH use case for the ebHandler
>receiving a Pull Request with no WSSE token on the default MPC.  It
>would seem at first blush based on Section 2.3.1 and 3.3 that
>"minimally" a pull request is authenticated by either a WSSE
>username/password token -OR- the alternative use of HTTPs client
authentication of an SSL certificate