egov-ms message

Subject: RE: [egov-ms] Groups - Provisional 2008 Work Plan [New Proposed Standard for 2009]

Colleagues

In 2007 I suggested the e-gov MS support the development of a standard for the exchange of health information (below) as part of their effort to promote interoperability frameworks.  This effort was discussed at the May 2008 e-gov member section meeting and the MS recommended that a new TC should be formed outside the e-gov MS for this activity.

I am pleased to announce that the Cross-enterprise Security and Privacy Authorization (XSPA) TC has submitted two profiles for consideration as OASIS standards and I am requesting that the organizations involved in the e-gov MS support this effort.  The proposed standards are now in the familiarization process, voting begins October 15. I would be happy to discuss the relevance of these standards to any member of the MS at their convenience.

An XSPA demonstration of sharing health records between two government agencies using the two proposed standards was done at the HIMSS09 conference.  The resulting reference implementation has been adopted by the (US domain) NHIN Connect effort.  The proposed standards have been technically validated and have the support of the XACML and SSTC (SAML) TCs.

Thank you for your encouragement at our 2007 meeting, the product of this timely work should be valuable to members of e-gov MS in promoting an international standards-based approach to the exchange of health records.

Approval of an OASIS standard is based on one vote per organization.  Many of the organizations in the e-gov MS may not typically participate in votes on standards from the XACML and SSTC TCs.  That makes your vote even more significant in achieving the organizational votes required to approve this work as an OASIS standard.  Thank you for your support.

Regards,

David

David Staggs, JD, CISSP (SAIC)

Veterans Health Administration

Chief Health Informatics Office

Emerging Health Technologies

Colin, I now agree with your comment "heading into standards territory is not for the faint-hearted (in your 12/19/07 message, below)."