Subject: RE: [egov] [Q] ebXML/Web Services sub-committee

Comments in-line.

Cheers & Happy New Year

> > IMHO, ebXML has the potential to provide tremendous benefits for Gov
> > organizations and their constituents. But, ebXML has suffered from a
"If you
> > build it they will come" mentality.
>
> I agree - we need to remain clearly focused here to avoid the risk of
> getting distracted.  This is an e-Gov TC, not an ebXML initiative.  We

> should use ebXML only when (if) appropriate.

<KS>
	Yep, use of appropriate technologies as needed is the right
philosophy. In case of ebXML the line is a little blurred - as ebXML is
a paradigm at the business process layer and a technology when it comes
to the message layer, registries et al. For all purposes, we might
suggest ebXML for the business process layer and just web services (e.g.
SOAP/HTTP with WSDL and UDDI) at the implementation.
</KS>
> > Is this just another standards effort or an technology advocacy
effort?

> In my personal opinion/hope, this TC is a best practices initiative
that
> happens to use technology.  The technology should only be an enabler
(a
> tool, if you will).  Technology should not be the objective of this
> group.  People interested in building ebXML infrastructures will be
> happier if they go join ebXML Implement or some other
technology-centric
> TC.

<KS>
	Yep. IMHO, this TC would *apply* the technologies developed
elsewhere to the e-gov domain. The only caveat is that we, most
probably, would find gaps and overlaps and at that point would need to
decide our course of action.

	Also even though we would not prototype an ebXML infrastructure,
we might prototype a specific functional eGov infrastructure on an ebXML
substrate. I can see this happening especially for conformance and
interoperability.
</KS>