Subject: Re: [egov] OASIS E-GOV TC : USE OF OPEN OFFICE

At 12:22 07/03/2003 -0500, David RR Webber - XML ebusiness wrote:
>Sean,
>
>Can OpenOffice open Word .DOC files?  If so - may make sense to
>use .doc for working documents internally - and then convert them
>to PDF and .XML for final release / review drafts.

The trouble comes with the proprietary nature of Word .doc files. No
converter - no matter how clever - will ever
get all the autonumbering, cascading styles, merged table cells etc. etc.
right. At the end of the day, the only arbiter for what
a .DOC file should look like is the exact version of Microsoft Word that
created it :-/ This is true of a lot of WYSIWYG systems.

OpenOffice has very good converters to/from MS Office formats but all such
converters have their limits.

I could see what you suggest working fine as long as the use of Word is
kept stylistically simple so that documents
can round-trip Word<->OpenOffice without loss.

regards,
Sean

http://seanmcgrath.blogspot.com