Subject: FW: Proposed Infrastructure SC "Scope and Purpose"

second posting to ensure everyone received this important message... which has a due date March 31st for comments....  diane

-----Original Message-----
From: Eliot Christian [mailto:echristi@usgs.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 5:29 AM
To: Lewis, Diane
Subject: Proposed Infrastructure SC "Scope and Purpose"

Hello Diane

I have had problems sending e-mail to egov@lists.oasis-open.org
Would you please forward this to the list for me?

Thanks,

Eliot

At the E-Government TC meeting on March 12, I volunteered to lead
a proposed "Infrastructure Subcommittee". The following text is a
draft of a "Scope and Purpose" statement for such a subcommittee.

   Within the scope of the E-Government Technical Committee, the
   Infrastructure Subcommittee focuses on common services applied
   in multiple government functions. Examples of common services
   include Security and Authentication, Privacy Assurance,
   Geospatial Facilities, Metadata Facilities, Identity Services,
   Information Discovery, Records Management, Taxonomy Management,
   and Organization Directories, among others. The Infrastructure
   Subcommittee complements the Services Subcommittee that delineates
   government functions, and the Best Practices Subcommittee that
   highlights E-Government projects of special significance. The
   Infrastructure Subcommittee also complements the Interoperable
   Services Subcommittee that deals with technical mechanisms
   supporting any government function or common service.

(Note that this references the "Interoperable Services Subcommittee",
which is the new name for what had been called the "Web Services and
ebXML Subcommittee".)

Please let me know by Monday, March 31 if you have any comments on
this statement as I would like to establish consensus on this part
before we draft the Deliverables and other sections.

Eliot Christian echristian@usgs.gov 703-648-7245 FAX 703-648-7112
US Geological Survey, 802 National Center, Reston VA 20192