Subject: FW: Proposed Infrastructure SC

-----Original Message-----
From: Eliot Christian [mailto:echristi@usgs.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 5:21 AM
To: Lewis, Diane
Subject: Proposed Infrastructure SC

Hi Diane

Please forward this to egov@lists.oasis-open.org for me. Kiva
collaboration blocks me from posting to the list.

Thanks,

Eliot

The following statement of Scope and Purpose for the proposed
Infrastructure Subcommittee incorporates suggestions of several
participants in the OASIS E-Government Technical Committee:
Owen Ambur, John Borras, Diane Lewis, Jim Rice, and Sinisa Zimek.
I hope that I have captured the intent of the suggestions, while
exercising some editorial license to maintain readability. Please
do let me know if you object to adoption of this statement.

Scope and Purpose: Within the scope of the E-Government Technical
Committee, the Infrastructure Subcommittee focuses on common
facilities applied in multiple government functions. Examples
of common facilities include Security and Authentication,
Privacy Assurance, Geospatial Facilities, Metadata Facilities,
E-forms Facilities, Identity Services, Interface Management,
Information Discovery, Records Management, Taxonomy Management,
Registry and Repository Facilities, and Organization Directories,
among others. Common facilities addressed by the Infrastructure
Subcommittee are component technology solutions used by the
various government functions delineated by the Services
Subcommittee and the various E-Government projects highlighted
by the Best Practices Subcommittee. Common facilities addressed
by the Infrastructure Subcommittee also make use of the technical
mechanisms addressed by the Interoperable Services Subcommittee,
which are independent of particular government functions or
common facilities.

Assuming that we are now close to consensus on the Scope
and Purpose statement of the Infrastructure Subcommittee,
please circulate any suggestions on specific Deliverables.
Each Deliverable should be described with a short paragraph
accompanied by an estimate of the expected level of effort
and time to completion.