Subject: Re: [egov] Proposed Infrastructure SC

I would propose one deliverable be an implementation/best practices
guide for Governments to implement a metadata Registry for publishing
and subsequent discovery of key metadata.  My past experience with
government registries has been very enlightening and I can see a clear
value in delivering such a proposal.  I woudl also argue that this may
be a good first deliverable due to the amount of current interest in
establishing a Registry centric concept of operations for many governments.

I can flesh this idea out further if there is interest.  Can we solicit
comments from the governments participating on this list?  Please give
this idea a sanity check ;-)

If it goes ahead,  I would volunteer to get this started.

The other candidate may be an architecture for using Registries within
eGovernment to help guide implementations.  As opposed to a technical
architecture,  this could be a reference architecture.

Duane Nickull

Eliot Christian wrote:

> The following statement of Scope and Purpose for the proposed
> Infrastructure Subcommittee incorporates suggestions of several
> participants in the OASIS E-Government Technical Committee:
> Owen Ambur, John Borras, Diane Lewis, Jim Rice, and Sinisa Zimek.
> I hope that I have captured the intent of the suggestions, while
> exercising some editorial license to maintain readability. Please
> do let me know if you object to adoption of this statement.

> Scope and Purpose: Within the scope of the E-Government Technical
> Committee, the Infrastructure Subcommittee focuses on common
> facilities applied in multiple government functions. Examples
> of common facilities include Security and Authentication,
> Privacy Assurance, Geospatial Facilities, Metadata Facilities,
> E-forms Facilities, Identity Services, Interface Management,
> Information Discovery, Records Management, Taxonomy Management,
> Registry and Repository Facilities, and Organization Directories,
> among others. Common facilities addressed by the Infrastructure
> Subcommittee are component technology solutions used by the
> various government functions delineated by the Services
> Subcommittee and the various E-Government projects highlighted
> by the Best Practices Subcommittee. Common facilities addressed
> by the Infrastructure Subcommittee also make use of the technical
> mechanisms addressed by the Interoperable Services Subcommittee,
> which are independent of particular government functions or
> common facilities.

> Assuming that we are now close to consensus on the Scope
> and Purpose statement of the Infrastructure Subcommittee,
> please circulate any suggestions on specific Deliverables.
> Each Deliverable should be described with a short paragraph
> accompanied by an estimate of the expected level of effort
> and time to completion.

Yellow Dragon Software - http://www.yellowdragonsoft.com
Professional Software Development & Metadata Management
Project Team Lead - UN/CEFACT eBusiness Architecture