Subject: Re: [egov] Proposed Infrastructure SC

These are issues that are very important to what we are currently pursuing in the Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Dept. of Justice. However, my concern is whether they (a) belong in the Infrastructure Working Group and/or (b) whether they even belong in this TC? Aren't there other TC's focusing on this type of capability?

>>> Duane Nickull <duane@yellowdragonsoft.com> 04/02/03 01:02PM >>>
I would propose one deliverable be an implementation/best practices
guide for Governments to implement a metadata Registry for publishing
and subsequent discovery of key metadata.  My past experience with
government registries has been very enlightening and I can see a clear
value in delivering such a proposal.  I woudl also argue that this may
be a good first deliverable due to the amount of current interest in
establishing a Registry centric concept of operations for many governments.

I can flesh this idea out further if there is interest.  Can we solicit
comments from the governments participating on this list?  Please give
this idea a sanity check ;-)

If it goes ahead,  I would volunteer to get this started.

The other candidate may be an architecture for using Registries within
eGovernment to help guide implementations.  As opposed to a technical
architecture,  this could be a reference architecture.

Duane Nickull

Eliot Christian wrote:

> The following statement of Scope and Purpose for the proposed
> Infrastructure Subcommittee incorporates suggestions of several
> participants in the OASIS E-Government Technical Committee:
> Owen Ambur, John Borras, Diane Lewis, Jim Rice, and Sinisa Zimek.
> I hope that I have captured the intent of the suggestions, while
> exercising some editorial license to maintain readability. Please
> do let me know if you object to adoption of this statement.

> Scope and Purpose: Within the scope of the E-Government Technical
> Committee, the Infrastructure Subcommittee focuses on common
> facilities applied in multiple government functions. Examples
> of common facilities include Security and Authentication,
> Privacy Assurance, Geospatial Facilities, Metadata Facilities,
> E-forms Facilities, Identity Services, Interface Management,
> Information Discovery, Records Management, Taxonomy Management,
> Registry and Repository Facilities, and Organization Directories,
> among others. Common facilities addressed by the Infrastructure
> Subcommittee are component technology solutions used by the
> various government functions delineated by the Services
> Subcommittee and the various E-Government projects highlighted
> by the Best Practices Subcommittee. Common facilities addressed
> by the Infrastructure Subcommittee also make use of the technical
> mechanisms addressed by the Interoperable Services Subcommittee,
> which are independent of particular government functions or
> common facilities.

> Assuming that we are now close to consensus on the Scope
> and Purpose statement of the Infrastructure Subcommittee,
> please circulate any suggestions on specific Deliverables.
> Each Deliverable should be described with a short paragraph
> accompanied by an estimate of the expected level of effort
> and time to completion.

Yellow Dragon Software - http://www.yellowdragonsoft.com
Professional Software Development & Metadata Management
Project Team Lead - UN/CEFACT eBusiness Architecture