Subject: Re: [egov] Tactics on data alignment / standardization

> BTW, for those interested in emergency management, the OASIS EM TC
> is now testing the Common Alerting Protocol (CAP)

Here's a reference to CAP that I just happened upon [1], in case
anyone's interested in more details on it.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

[1] http://www.incident.com/cap/docs/CAP_0.7/CAP_0.7_Dictionary.pdf

Eliot Christian wrote:

> At 09:46 PM 7/23/2003 -0400, David RR Webber wrote:
> >Carl,
> >
> >On quick inspection you deserve an award for the most complex
> >XML application I have seen, and also for using the most
> >complex parts of the W3C specifications.
>
> To me, it seems the GML approach is to use XML Schema as a tool for
> representing semantic relationships as well as data type syntax. So,
> a "polygon" is not merely defined in terms of its syntax as a set of
> coordinate pairs, but it is derived from a chain of abstract types
> that mark higher levels of geometric abstraction. That's not wrong
> in itself, expect that it makes the whole structure fiendishly
> difficult to handle and very obtuse to understand. IMHO, GML
> could employ a simple XML Schema type system supplemented by
> an ISO 11179 semantic register.
>
> BTW, for those interested in emergency management, the OASIS EM TC
> is now testing the Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) and there is a
> rendition of alerts as a GML "FeatureCollection" (aka "map layer").
>
> Eliot

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano