Subject: Re: [egov] Tactics on data alignment / standardization

Carl,

Thanks for the very excellent reply.

I fully appreciate the nuances and the needs.

It's good to see people putting the business needs
first - and clearly schema is being significantly
stressed as the delivery vehicle.

Likewise I've been working on ontology representation
and creating user interface components to enable people
to understand and interact with it.

It would be interesting to see if there is a S-GML
approach - simple GML - where basic XML constructs
that are essentially a subset of the full GML, can
be implemented more easily, and perhaps using the
CAM approach to assembly these "common patterns".
People would just use these then as a short-cut,
without having to expose them to the full GML.

Of course there are some really cool uses
out there - one just pauses when thinking about the
cost involved in getting it there.

I just found this today:

 http://arcims.allconet.org:8080/ArcIMS/Website/fairgrounds/viewer.htm

because my wife asked me to see if the Allegany Fair had their
one-price rides day on for the kids!

I did not find that answer - but I found out what the 100 year
flood plain layer is!!

And it is really cool that this website is now even up there.
Just 3 years ago I tried and failed to find anything about
a small town local fair.

Cheers, DW.