Subject: Re: [egov] BCM and eprXML pilots

Weiland, John R. NMIMC GS wrote:

>Good Morning,
>
>This seemed to be a recurring theme during our F2F last week.  I envisioned
>a Registry/Repository a utility for programmer's use, not a broker for end
>users.

John,

I cannot recall whether you were present on Thursday afternoon when I
presented ebXML Registry and Repository (ebReg).

In that brief presentation I described how an ebXML Registry is not just
for design time but is playing several different roles
for benefit of end-users and run-time.

I started by using the following analogy:

"ebReg is to web services what relational databases were to enterprise
applications"

If we ask the question:  Are  relational databases needed by enterprise
applications only at run time?

Of course we come to the conclusion that the answer is: NO

ebXML Registry  may have started with the idea of being a place to
manage CPP/A, BPSS, UBL schemas etc. but it was designed as a general
purpose Content Management solution.

I lead an open source project that implements ebReg:
http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net

Out of some 100+ users of our ebReg implementation, no more that 5 use
it at design time. All the remainder use it at run time and for use by
actual end users. Here are some examples:

SDMX
----------

A group of major financial institutions such as  IMF, World Bank, Swiss
Banks etc. use ebXML Registry to manage third world debt statistics. A
live registry may be seen at:

http://sdmx.oecd.org/sdmxDemo/index.jsp

Apelon
----------

A provider of clinical software uses an ebXML Registry to manage and
serve medical guidelines and protocols. The end users
are doctors and nurses.

http://www.apelon.com

HL7
------
NIST in the US Government operates an ebXML Registry to manage HL7
Conformance templates. It is used by the HL7 user community.

http://hcxw2k1.nist.gov:8080/hl7services/index.jsp

The above examples are just a few I could think of to show that ebXML
Registry is not just for design time and in fact is much more useful at
run-time.

If this issue continues to recur then I suggest that we schedule a
discussion in this in a subsequent TC con call so we can reach a common
understanding on this important issue.

--
Respectfully,
Farrukh