Subject: Re: [egov] Re: OASIS E-GOV TECHNICAL COMMITTEE PARTICIPATION

Dear eGov TC,

I would like to share some experience from an Asian perspective. I am
aware there are many different eGov activities taking place in Asia. I'm
in the ebXML Asia Committee. We met face-to-face three times a year and
share what we have done (e.g. XML Message Guidelines in Korea and Hong
Kong) in our regions. We also have some collaborations such as ebXML
interoperability (http://xml.coverpages.org/ebXMLAsiaInterop.html) and
core component development.

I believe the locale issue such as timezone and locations for
face-to-face meeting is one of the barrier from Asian members to
actively participate in the TC. I understand it is difficult to resolve
this issue. I agree setting up regional subcommittee could be one way to
reduce the barrier. Like UBL, we have formed localization subcommittees
for Japanese, Korean and Chinese.

I am sorry I haven't contributed to the TC very actively. I'll try to be
more active when the remote collaboration mechanism is set up.

Happy New Year!

Regards,
Thomas

Chief Technology Officer
Center for E-Commerce Infrastructure Development (CECID)
The University of Hong Kong
http://www.cecid.hku.hk