Subject: Re: [egov] Re: Need advice regarding XML performance issues

Michael,

You were somewhat vague in your fishing criteria - but let me throw two
somethings
into the mix - #1 commercial systems using huge transaction exchanges - 20
to 40 Megabytes
and up daily.

Here is where I see people have had issues on physical performance - and
they have
resolved them in a variety of ways - mostly using compression on the wire
techniques.

But there is also issues of processing such volumes - and dedicated hardware
has been
an answer.

However overall - I believe many of these issues are due to using XML in the
same
way as EDI - i.e. 1-for-1 conversion.  Since day one the XML/edi approach
has
said that care and caution is needed!  The optimum is to NOT slavishly
follow
EDI formats - but to create smaller - more flexible XML that does not need
to be sent in 20Meg gobs - notice - EDI contains vast amounts of redundant
information that is sent daily - becuase of inflexible software.

And this brings me to #2 - OASIS CAM technology.

If you want to look at something that will change the XML world in 2004 - I
humbly
suggest this could be one place to look.  Of course I'm biased as Chair of
the TC - but
CAM templates enable you to free yourself from the limits self-imposed on
XML by
the way people use XML transactions.

There is some very excitinng news coming Q1 04 on CAM availablity - but in
the
meantime you can get acquianted with the concepts and details from

 http://cam.swiki.net

Thanks, DW