Subject: Re: [egov] ebXML Registry SCM (& Semantic Interoperability)

Farrukh,

An obvious simple start point is the OASIS BCM Information Pyramid.

While that is not the whole story by any means - it does at least
provide an obvious reference point that people can relate to and
grasp as they start to think about this whole topic.  And it is a
self-contained base point on to whuch you can build more
(ontologies, et al) as you extend out the functionality.

Supporting the Information Pyramid as a use case for registry
should keep the SCM team well busy for the next six months
anyway!

Cheers, DW.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 8:57 AM

Wrightson wrote:
This subcommittee's described scope is "looking at how an ebXML Registry can be used to manage semantic content".  There may well be (IMO there is) a lot more to semantic interoperability than this.

Good point Anne.

It would be very helpful if we could discuss some specific use cases to illustrate what
semantic interoperability may entail. I am attach
It would be sad to see OASIS work on Semantic Interoperability constrained by having a built-in registry perspective.
I agree. That would be an undesirable constraint.

I had suggested in my email that Semantic Content Management (SCM) SC will not be enough:

> The SCM SC would address only the core foundation of vocabulary semantic and syntax based upon OWL/RDF etc.
> We would still need things like Naming and Design Rules to be addressed elsewhere.

I assumed that SCM SC would provide a core infrastructure that enables semantic interop by allowing content to be described using ontology based meta data.

I was assuming that there would be other SCs within egov TC and possibly other existing TCs where the rest of semantic interop was addressed.

For example Naming and Design Rules could be an SC in egov TC.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Another key position I stated in my message was that I was not sure that a new Semantic interoperability OASIS TC would necessarily be a good idea.  That was based on concern that it could lead to too many overlapping standards activities all competing for contributors and charter. What we need is to make the existing TCs work together better (IMHO).

Of course above opinion is in a vacuum and is based on my gut feel. It would help to identify the scope of proposed Semantic Interoperability TC ilustrated with some with use cases to reach an informed opinion.

--
Regards,
Farrukh