Subject: Proposed Use Case template

Folks,

We seem to agree on the value of use case identification as a tool to nail down requirements. It would help
if we all use a consistent use case template.

To facilitate use case discussions, attached below is a sample use case that I propose as a template for other use case discussion.

Feel free to suggest improvements or ask questions.

We could start by applying this template to use cases for Semantic Interoperability. Thanks.

--
Regards,
Farrukh

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [regrep-semantic] [Use Case] #5 Associate 2 RegistryObjects using an Ontology Class
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:16:36 -0500
From: Farrukh Najmi <Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM>
To: regrep-semantic@lists.oasis-open.org

(Note change in use case template. Now submitting use case diagram inline  rather than as an attachment)

ID:  5

Title

  • Associate 2 RegistryObjects using an Ontology Class

Description

Currently ebXML Registry allows content to be associated using an Association which has an optional associationType that is defined by  a ClassificationNode within a ClassificationScheme.

This use case envisions allowing content to be associated using an Association which has an optional associationType that is defined by  a Class within an Ontology.

The meaning of the resulting association would be much more clearer and precise.

use case diagram

Use Case Diagram: Associate 2 RegistryObjects using an Ontology Class

Actors

  • Domain Expert
  • Content Publisher
  • Registry

Priority (Low, Medium, High)

  • High

Pre-conditions

  • Ontology must already be defined or be submitted along with the content being associated

Post-conditions

  • None

Basic Flow

  1. Domain experts publishes an ontology
  2. Content Publisher publishes content #1
  3. Content Publisher publishes content #2
  4. Content Publisher publishes an Association that associates content #1 and content #2 using an ontology class reference as an associationType

Alternative flows…

  • None

Exceptions

  • None

Includes Use Cases

  • None

Special Requirements

  • None

Assumptions

  • An Association class is used to associate the two content instances as is the case in version ebXML Registry 2.5
  • Queries (different use case) may be submitted that discover associated content not only based on  associationType but also specific attributes  of the ontology class that  was used  as associationType.

Use Case Relationships

  • None

Issues

  • None