Subject: Re: [egov] Metadata-template for taxonomies

Michael:

This model can all be declared using existing ebXML RegRep or ISO 11179
metadata.  I will comment inline:

Michael Bang Kjeldgaard wrote:

>		Title (local title)

RIM has a name attribute for this.

>		Title (English translation + plus explanation if needed)

RIM supports multilingual titles, names and descriptions.

>		Coverage (domain / area of use covered by the taxonomy)

Taxonomy and the objects relationships to other objects within a
specific or multiple taxonomies can be declared or asserted via
associations and/or classifications in the ebXML RIM.

>is, comments on quality)

Description is a mandatory attribute for each registry object.  The "how
old it is" is expressed as part of the audit trail.  The audit trail is
a better way of declaring this information because it may be necessary
to determine how old an object is in its' current or a previous status.
 Registry objects can have different status attribute values throughout
their life cycle (Submitted, Approved, Superseded, etc...)

>		Type: (taxonomy, ontology, glossary etc.)

RIM attribute ObjectType.  This is user extendable to account for any
anomolies users may wish to express.

>		Volatility (how often does it get updated/changed)

This is handled via the Audit trail.  Each item has a complete audit
able event log associated with it.

>		Editor (responsible organization / contact person)

Called "Owner".  There is both an organization and actors associated
with that organization.

>		Government use (international?, nation?, government tier or
>domain?)

Can be expressed via the classification schemes or its' relationship to
other items.  For example - you could state that a specific data element
is used within a schema by a certain government department.

>		Audience (targetgroup: IT-professionals, public sector
>employees, business, citizens)
>		Links (to the sourcefile or a webservice +  to
>implementations, e.g. online portals, specific services etc.)

handled via associations.

ebXML RIM can do this entire metadata with ease and more  I suggest that
we use the ebXML RIM within this group since it appears to meet all our
requirements plus it is extensible in a forwards compatible manner.

Duane Nickull

--
Senior Standards Strategist
Adobe Systems, Inc.