Subject: Re: [egov] Proposed Use Case template

Title: Re: [egov] Proposed Use Case template
A useful use case template.  I have several minor suggestions, which, if accepted in full, would add one extra heading, merge four and make minor changes to three others:

(a)  Add a heading “Scope, Goal and Context”.  This might replace or supplement the present “Description”, as well as “Exceptions”, “Special Requirements” and “Assumptions” (all of which are somewhat ambiguous terms, liable to be used in different ways by different authors)
(b)  Suggest adding Cockburn’s classification of “High level”, “User goal” and “Sub-function” to categorise use cases into those which can be met using more than one “user session”, one “user session” or a small part of a “user session” respectively.
(c)   Explicitly identify the primary actor to whom the use case provides value, or initiates the use case - perhaps add a phrase “(list primary actor first)”.
(d)  Change “Pre-conditions” to “Pre-conditions and Triggers” - it is often useful to identify a specific trigger event especially in interoperability.
(e)  Change “Priority” to “Priority and Frequency of Occurrence” - these are two different dimensions.

Tim Benson
Abies Ltd