Subject: RE: [egov] 2/26/2004: OASIS e-GOV TC : WORKFLOW STANDARD Comments

Hi All,

Building on what Joe has posted about enabling.......

"a series of data sources (which can span enterprises) to be treated as
a single, virtual data source"

....I would strongly urge the e-gov TC to reference the work of the
OASIS XRI and XDI TCs since this is our shared vision.

eXtensible Resource Identifiers (XRI) are conformant internationalized
URIs that allow data at any level of a hierarchy to be identified using
both persistent and reassignable identifier segments (the best bits of
both HTTP URIs (URLs) and URNs combined) with unlimited delegation,
cross references and self references. The XRI spec has been approved as
a committee draft.

The XRI Data Interchange (XDI) work now underway establishes the linking
relationship between data points identified using XRIs. It facilitates
the creation of a machine and human readable "dataweb" by embedding
access and usage permissions (such as ACL, privacy and rights
permissions) into the link endpoints in the form of a link contract.
Link contract set up linking and synchronization requirements between
endpoints allowing data to be both "pushed and pulled" from source and
destination(s). The link contract is itself a data object that can be
referenced and reused unless its permissions restrict such actions.

The resultant "dataweb" turns out to look a lot like the World Wide Web
we all know and love but this time it:

* uses XRIs instead of URIs
* uses XML instead of HTML
* uses XDI/HTTP or XDI/SOAP rather than just HTTP

Everything else stays the same, so you have all the same simplicity,
interoperability, and scalability as the Web, but now you can have all
kinds of automated data interchange and linking.

I've copied the XRI and XDI TC chairs on this email and suggest that we
set up a liaison function between our respective TCs to better
communicate the work and needs of all groups.

Please let me have your thoughts

Marc Le Maitre
Secretary to XRI and XDI TCs

XRI FAQ =